The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Compressor housing - to polish or not to polish

SimonB

I just whipped the compressor housing off my new turbo because I need to drill and tap a hole for the boost reference. It's not polished at the mo, just a rough casting, so I was just thinking "maybe I should polish it up". Not sure if I can be arsed though! What do you reckon, polish or not to polish? How much effort is it likely to take by hand?

Well, I do have a polished rad pipe, and the intercooler pipes and intake pipe will be polished. I kind of want to, but then again I'm a lazy bugger...

Here's the compressor housing as it is at the moment, after drilling and tapping the boost reference.

CompressorCover.jpg

Guest gzaerojon

polish it, you'l always regret it if you don't

wayne does a splendid job indeed, he'll have it back to you pretty quickly too

as we're on the subject of compressor housings (and i cant be @rsed to start a new thread) anyone know how hot these get? i bought some 450c red engine paint today and was thinking of painting my compressor housings on my stock tubbies before fitting my bling turbo pipes and pollished turbo heatshield. should look nice, but not if it catches fire lol

anythoughts? its halfrauds high temp engine enamel paint in red (offcourse:D)

Well that's a resounding vote for polishing then! Think I'll take you up on that Wayne and send it down to you. Can't be arsed doing it myself. Hey I've even thought of a lame performance-related excuse too, obviously a polished compressor cover will reflect more heat from the engine bay and therefore be cooler and heat up the charge less. How's that for an excuse for a bit of bling...:D

Guest gzaerojon
Well that's a resounding vote for polishing then! Think I'll take you up on that Wayne and send it down to you. Can't be arsed doing it myself. Hey I've even thought of a lame performance-related excuse too, obviously a polished compressor cover will reflect more heat from the engine bay and therefore be cooler and heat up the charge less. How's that for an excuse for a bit of bling...:D

or you will be reducing weight by removing a layer of metal :D

extra 300bhp easy :p