The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Yet another VS thread! how much hp needed?

Tom

Ok,

so I go to a good friend of mines today, I always ask about his dad's porsche that he has as it's pretty damn nice, well anyway due to personal reasons his dad doesnt own the car but he now does! he had been keeping it a secret for about 2 years as he just wanted to turn up in it one day but now he wants me to help clean it up a little.

Now his dad is a huge track day junkie and has done some serious modifications to this car, it's an R reg LHD porsche 993 bored out to 3.8 from 3.6 and the car has been completely stripped out with carbon kevlar peices everywhere, magnesium wheels, huge brakes, just everything possible with no expense spared and it was last weighed in at 1050kg.

The power output is said to be around 350/360hp and the torque around 300lbs now we plan to do some track days later this year and probably the nurburgring but I'm wondering what kind of power I'll need just to keep up on the straights?

I'm not too worried about the bends as he's new to the car and with track days and I know i'll be pushing a hell of a lot harder the first few times round, but would I need to be single to keep up with this thing?

Thoughts please, and I'll get some pics of this beast soon!

Edited to add, the car will be pushing a little more power soon!

340+bhp per ton is what he has so, you need that too!

Which means about 550BHP I'd have thought...time to stick on a T61, cams and a fuel system.

What will save you at BPU levels is the torque of the Supra....over 100mph I'd expect you to keep with him BPU'd.

Guest dee_rz

think alex is pretty close to being right i'd say 500bhp with around 450-500 ft lb of torque and you'll have him at high speeds over 100 the your 450-500 ft bl of torque will take over and weight won't become so much of an issue, any ideas or specs on his gearing fella??

Gearing I'm not so sure, my friend is only 21 too! lucky bastard!lol! I dont think it's a close ratio or anything but the original unit was replaced with a 6 speed and it's been race tuned at palmer or par racing, well something like that!

I thought it would be around the 500bhp mark, dammit! my loan may have to be a little bit bigger to pay for everything I want done!

911's are amazing track cars, you wont stay with him if he knows what he's doing. 911's are amazing under brakes and blasting out of corner. When I was doing a lot of track days a few years back I had a hard time staying with them. Last 911 I went up against was a 996 cup race car at Snetterton on a track day in 2004, I think he was a bit shocked when I let him pull up next to me down the back straight then I floored and left him behind! Through the bomb hole he was gone though, slicks + low weight + 911 handling = no chance.

• 2 weeks later...