The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Neighbours not liking exhausts!

miko_supra

Hey everyone, i share a shouse with two other guys and currently we have between us a standard 5 door punto, and an mr2. My mates Mr2 which he picked up last week as already pissed the neighbour off, cause of the exhaust. It's not too loud at all just a little improvement on what the car should have sounded like when it left the factory. The neighbour has also complained about the punto because he says thats too loud!?!?! and its standard! im about to get my supra in a week which is louder than both of them. And my mate with the punto is getting a 300zx soon. :Pling:

So i was simply curious as to whether anyone else has problems with neighbours and the noise levels their car makes, and what to do about it???

Hey everyone, i share a shouse with two other guys and currently we have between us a standard 5 door punto, and an mr2. My mates Mr2 which he picked up last week as already pissed the neighbour off, cause of the exhaust. It's not too loud at all just a little improvement on what the car should have sounded like when it left the factory. The neighbour has also complained about the punto because he says thats too loud!?!?! and its standard! im about to get my supra in a week which is louder than both of them. And my mate with the punto is getting a 300zx soon. :Pling:

So i was simply curious as to whether anyone else has problems with neighbours and the noise levels their car makes, and what to do about it???

be carefull mate as they can make life difficult for you with the council

if the exhaust is only a litle louder than original, then its not too bad, depending how loud original was. complaining about the Punto exhaust, just seems crazy. sounds like neighbour is just finding any excuse to complain.

i think you have to look at it from the the POV if you were in the neighbours position. say you had young children and exhaust kept waking them up, etc, etc. maybe come to understanding about not using the car late into the night, and if you do, not running engine too long when arriving home. small things with a neighbour can make all the difference, and keep harmony.

personally, it kind of annoys me people with loud exhausts running at all hours of the night, or really early in the morning.

this guy that lived over the road from me, used to have a GTi Nova and exhaust really did get to me, at 5Am in the morning each day. he also had a Renault (21?, not sure model), but it was the performance version, and he used to run that at 1, 2 and 3AM when he came back from an evening out, left it running for minutes.

i will be going BPU in next week or two, and i am consciously choosing an exhaust that wont hack the neighbours off, but sounds nice on the open road. imo, thats how it should be. have been recommended a Greddy Power Extreme II, so hope to check that out more.

atm, my alarm is faulty and keeps going off at all hours. i can imagine it annoys the neighbours a great deal. heck ,thats spooky, it just went off as i typed this sentence, lol

Thanks for the adivce. I think my neighbour is a bit of a nutter. He has no children. he complains about everything, like a taxi driver reversing onto his drive way. Our other neighbours who have young children havn't said a word and are always pleasent to us. I just gotta be carefull cause its rented property, and he knows the land lord.

you could always offer to take him out for a spin in the Supra, anything you can think of to keep him calm. if the guy can cause you grief, always better to give a little bit, its better in the long run. moreso if they have any power over you to cause you problems far greater than a loud exhaust.

i did that with one of my neighbours, as it was my fault about the alarm not working as it should. he was fine about it all :)

really hope it gets sorted out for you ok.

so i drive easy when heading home if its a bit late so I don't have to let the turbo cool down and can just switch it off.

I do the same, sometimes stopping before reaching home for the timer to time out :) some people are born just to complain though :p

2 doors down asked me why I leave it running once, said she works shifts and it wakes her up at night.

Her daughter (about 9) became a cow after that, every other kid in the road loves it but she started making comments as I drove past, 99% sure it was her who wrote 'crap' in the snow on my bonnet too!!! (no scratches though).

I actually thought about them when deciding to get the second car, made a conscious effort for them knowing the Micra would be easy going on their ears.

They still blank me and the kid still makes comments. Fuck 'em - rev the nuts off it.

Fuck 'em - rev the nuts off it.

:rlol: thats the way.

We've had one neighbour who lives quite a few houses away make some petty comments about the noise - but I get the impression they are the kinda nosey, small minded, busy body neighbour who would anyway.

I admit the car is mega loud, much louder than anything I've ever owned before, but I do try and be a bit considerate. When I start it I drive straight off gently, if I come back late, I park it straight in nose first, switch straight off and mess around turning it around and parking in better the next day at a more sociable time - I doubt they appreciate it though. Rest of the neighbours seem fine :) I wouldn't deliberately rub their noses in it incase they kick up a fuss...

About warm down, rather than stopping, driving the last mile or two at low revs off boost is enough to let things cool down isn't it, probably better than just idling with no air flow?

Guest Flat4_ire
if the exhaust is only a litle louder than original, then its not too bad, depending how loud original was. complaining about the Punto exhaust, just seems crazy. sounds like neighbour is just finding any excuse to complain.

i think you have to look at it from the the POV if you were in the neighbours position. say you had young children and exhaust kept waking them up, etc, etc. maybe come to understanding about not using the car late into the night, and if you do, not running engine too long when arriving home. small things with a neighbour can make all the difference, and keep harmony.

personally, it kind of annoys me people with loud exhausts running at all hours of the night, or really early in the morning.

this guy that lived over the road from me, used to have a GTi Nova and exhaust really did get to me, at 5Am in the morning each day. he also had a Renault (21?, not sure model), but it was the performance version, and he used to run that at 1, 2 and 3AM when he came back from an evening out, left it running for minutes.

i will be going BPU in next week or two, and i am consciously choosing an exhaust that wont hack the neighbours off, but sounds nice on the open road. imo, thats how it should be. have been recommended a Greddy Power Extreme II, so hope to check that out more.

atm, my alarm is faulty and keeps going off at all hours. i can imagine it annoys the neighbours a great deal. heck ,thats spooky, it just went off as i typed this sentence, lol

lol the gredd power extreme II is loud even on tickover!!

Guest Flat4_ire
:rlol: thats the way.

We've had one neighbour who lives quite a few houses away make some petty comments about the noise - but I get the impression they are the kinda nosey, small minded, busy body neighbour who would anyway.

I admit the car is mega loud, much louder than anything I've ever owned before, but I do try and be a bit considerate. When I start it I drive straight off gently, if I come back late, I park it straight in nose first, switch straight off and mess around turning it around and parking in better the next day at a more sociable time - I doubt they appreciate it though. Rest of the neighbours seem fine :) I wouldn't deliberately rub their noses in it incase they kick up a fuss...

About warm down, rather than stopping, driving the last mile or two at low revs off boost is enough to let things cool down isn't it, probably better than just idling with no air flow?

yeah theres no real need to do the big 2 minute turbo timer buzz, if youve been givin it loads for a while, just drive the last mile nice and easy and shes grand! ;)

lol, dont wonna go piss off more neighbours tho by reving my engine do i? my street is full of bloody freaks. old man round the corner parked in a mate of mine. we just happened to guess where he lived....he said he had to bring it to our attention that it was private parking. We called the council, and its full public use parking. i dont see why he couldn't have left a note on the car instead of my mate not being able to get home at 11 in the evening.

Guest Flat4_ire
lol, dont wonna go piss off more neighbours tho by reving my engine do i? my street is full of bloody freaks. old man round the corner parked in a mate of mine. we just happened to guess where he lived....he said he had to bring it to our attention that it was private parking. We called the council, and its full public use parking. i dont see why he couldn't have left a note on the car instead of my mate not being able to get home at 11 in the evening.

depends on you, personally as you know if it were me id purposely rev the booollllooox outta the car at 7am on a saturday morn MUUHAAAHHAAA :D

lol the gredd power extreme II is loud even on tickover!!

lol, oh well, i will have to go for plan B, whatever that is. i need something that is fairly quiet to not annoy neigbours at idle - i dont have problem neighbours, just trying to put myself in their position. the sound wont be a prob driving off. just dont want some whinny little thing that has no guts when you are out on the open road.

if i am gonna do my civic duty and test out the speed cameras make sure they are working j/k, dont want to have some whimpy sound, lol.

only reason i went for the greddy was he said it wasnt too loud, compared to nur spec etc, and could do me a cat back and fitting for under 500UK.

Mines not that loud at all and I wouldn’t want it any louder. But I’m always as considerate as possible around home to keep it quite. It really annoys me when someone tears past at about 50mph outside my house really late at night or in fact at any time. I always say something along the lines of bloody chav’s so it would be really hypercritical of me to do the same. I never leave the engine running when I get home and when I get in the car I get ready to pull off before starting the engine. Plus where I live I park somewhere different every day so it isn’t really a problem.