The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Carbon Fibre Spray

jazz1

Hey guys i was just wondering, well i dont want to buy a fibre glass bonnet. I really want a carbon fibre bonnet but i hate the black look on bright cars as it seems odd IMO. Anyway if i was to buy a c/f bonnet can it be sprayed over?, if so will there be any cracks after(say 6 months down the line) or am i just better of buying a fibre glass one?:search:

DSCF0026.JPG

DSCF0085.JPG

Hey guys i was just wondering, well i dont want to buy a fibre glass bonnet. I really want a carbon fibre bonnet but i hate the black look on bright cars as it seems odd IMO. Anyway if i was to buy a c/f bonnet can it be sprayed over?, if so will there be any cracks after(say 6 months down the line) or am i just better of buying a fibre glass one?:search:
in my opinion buy fibre glass if your spraying ;)

As far as I know it should be ok to spray a CF bonnet. I think as long as your careful when opening/closing it and it is secured correctly, it should be fine. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along shortly.

One thing I have seen that looks good is carbon fibre sprayed with a clear candy colour. I saw a streetfighter with all c/f bodywork that had been sprayed with a clear dark green candy and it looked awesome - you can still see the weave, but under basically a coloured laquer, well nice.

I forget who but someone at the last Mids Meet at the Bubble had a C/F bonnet on a black car with painted edges from the wings blown into it so the centre was still carbon. Looked good.

The lady who owns that car is calleed "jusie" It did look very good the way it was blended in on the wings with just the centre left in exposed carbon fibre.

Get a carbon fibre one, they weigh next to nothing. I'm involved with a Superbike team and the bikes all run carbon fibre panels that get sprayed. They don’t even look too bad after being dropped out on the track or after a seasons hard racing (for any pannels that survive!). Just make sure you get it done properly and don’t use a crap sprayer.

No - think of all the cars you can buy for £200,000 + that have carbon panels with immaculate finishes.

Sure if you hit it with a hammer you will damage the paint the same way as a metal panel, but bikes that have slid across the ground at 100mph+ just have big gouges taken out - not cracking (at long as they don’t hit a wall!)

I don’t know the science behind the materials but as far as I know it’s the same as painting plastic. Done well its fine and can take reasonable knocks. Done badly it will be crap as you say – its usually all in the preparation just don’t cut corners.

Just another point sunlight damages carbon fibre so paint can be a way of protecting it. Yachts that have carbon fibre masts or decks are often painted for this reason. Here is the techy bit:

"Developed composite material temperatures in excess of the original cure

temperature of the composite will cause discoloration of the resin system. This discoloration can range from a very light golden caramel colour to a deep,

brownish black burnt appearance. The light discoloration will occur naturally

over time and with continued direct exposure to sunlight, and not necessarily

be a result of temperature exposure."