The mkiv Supra Owners Club

supra vs 22b

alan83

Guest Flat4_ire
was wondering how these cars compare in the likes of 0-60 0-100 etc.

Guessing the subaru 22b will handle better as being a 4wd

oh no here we go...0-60 not a hope for the sup, handling a lot better in the subaru, top speed the supra has it by a long shot!! 2 completely different cars built for different purposes!!

oh no here we go...0-60 not a hope for the sup, handling a lot better in the subaru, top speed the supra has it by a long shot!! 2 completely different cars built for different purposes!!

You're almost right there - at least in my experience ;)

The 22b is an awesome car, I was lucky enough to have a long drive (although as a passenger!) in one. Very, very rare model.

0-60, yeah, the 22b will be quicker than all but the most highly tuned Supra's. From a rolling start above 60 the supra will be quicker, same for top speed (see the 'top speed' post from yesterday!)

Handling is a tougher one and will come down to driver experience/confidence. In dry & warm weather on any reasonable road a supra with the large brake setup should be cablable to keep up with anything up to P1 (not sure about a 22b!). I know I can easily keep up with a mates P1 on any road with decent traction (I do have 150bhp than him, which obviously helps)

In wet or cold conditions, or where there is any poor quality road or dusty surface the scooby will have a significant advantage. On the same road in wet or cold conditions I can't stay anywhere near my mates P1.

Totally different cars though. The 22b is 'The' Scooby to own though :D

Stock form, the 22b will be quicker in all area's, a bpu supe will be quicker further up the rev range but 0-100 I can't see the supe being ahead, the 22b IS the nicest looking of the bunch, I think it looks great! I've driven a p1 and even though I was not impressed by the perfomance(it did feel slowish) I knew that it was a car that you could chuck about and anything you threw at it it would take, and it was all down to steering feel, you actually had some feedback which brings confidence in driving! and back on topic, you need to be modded to beat him up to 100 and whats the point of going above this and overtaking then? so mod away!

2 totally different cars.

a 22b is a lightweight special at home on A and B roads. it has a far better power to weight ratio and very good handling but is limited to about 130-140ish (iirc) by its gearing.

a supe is a big heavy GT car that is at home on fast A roads and motorways that will do silly speeds in total comfort.

it totally depends on the road (track) in question, if it was a tight and twisty track like Oulton Park the the 22b would walk away happily however if it was fast and sweeping like Thruxton then the supe would have the edge

Manual supra vs 22B, if its in the dry there wont be much in it unless the Supra driver is a numpty who cant get it off the line. I have raced a 22B, Good at first gear from the lights, second gear not so much in it, 3rd gear you'll start to reel him in, and 4th you'll walk away.

Corners, all tight corners the 22B is quicker, easy corners there isnt much in it. Point to point on the average B road the 22B is faster, so if you gotta try one do it on an A road. IN the wet, forget it the 22B will elave you for dead.

I don't think there will be much in it, stock would probably lose but BPU would win.

Here are some stats i found i don't know how accurate they are, im sure Flat 4 can confirm:

Stock power, in bhp: 290 bhp@6000rpm's

Stock torque, in ft/lb: 280.27ft/lb@3200 rpm's

Stock weight, in kg: 1270kg

Stock 1/4 mile in seconds :0'13.358@103 mph

Stock 1000m in seconds :0'24.414@134mph

Stock 0-30mph in seconds :0'01.540

Stock 0-60mph in seconds : five seconds flat.

Stock 0-100mph in seconds :0'12.020

Top Speed in mph :147.16 mph.

Guest Flat4_ire
I don't think there will be much in it, stock would probably lose but BPU would win.

Here are some stats i found i don't know how accurate they are, im sure Flat 4 can confirm:

Stock power, in bhp: 290 bhp@6000rpm's

Stock torque, in ft/lb: 280.27ft/lb@3200 rpm's

Stock weight, in kg: 1270kg

Stock 1/4 mile in seconds :0'13.358@103 mph

Stock 1000m in seconds :0'24.414@134mph

Stock 0-30mph in seconds :0'01.540

Stock 0-60mph in seconds : five seconds flat.

Stock 0-100mph in seconds :0'12.020

Top Speed in mph :147.16 mph.

yeah you're pretty much way off there man..for starters the 0-60mph is 4.5secs! and ur power figures are wrong too, they are 280PS @ 6000rpm (276bhp) and 264 ftlbs torque @ 3200, not sure about the quarter miles times etc, and top speed is more like 130mph..i had a 2dr type r with 297bhp and i know for a fact that it would shit on my current tt 6speed in all areas apart from going flat out on a nice wide road!

Guest Flat4_ire
Have much can these be safely modded too anyone?

few knockin around the UK at 400bhp, go for a spin in one and guarantee it will scare ya, serious acceleration, i miss mine at times :(

Guest Flat4_ire
I've raced one of these, it was either this or a P1, he raped me off the line up to 70, I was about 4 cars back by the time I started to claw back space. But over 70 I was starting to gain. Over 1/2 mile race it would have been mine :)

yep sounds about right, well ud know if it was a 22b cos it will have lovely wide arches where as the P1 doesnt!

Guest Flat4_ire
I'm sure there was a model from the showroom, prodrive modified, that came in around 330 bhp?
no, the P1 is 276bhp same as 22b and my STi Type R, prodrive did offer PPP (prodrive performance pack), which is a decat,boost raise which gives around 320bhp yeah

Guest Flat4_ire
i have an old evo magazine where they tested a WRX STi Type RA Spec C and it says it had around the 330bhp mark (as well as the worlds longest name)

yes 320bhp but these are the new bug eye shape dude 2000 onwards..we were talkin about classic shape pre 2000 like this! :D 300bhp, 0-60 4.2secs, u know u want it! ;)

Guest Flat4_ire
hell yeah mate, a guy i knew had a 22b and it was a truely awesome car :D

he's moved on to crotch rockets now...

i like scoobies and evos but most of the guys i know who drive them are fucking eejits

For those who are unsure, the Uk spec Supra Manual info

March 1993 Car and Driver Mag test (same spec as UK car)

1/4 mile 13.10

0-60 in 4.6sec (Bridgestone RE020 tyres instead of the later shyte Pilot "V groove" sport tyres some were fitted with to ruin the 0 to 60).

Max speed 160mph (supposedly limitied to 155mph) 181mph delimited (road and track)

Roadholding 300ft dia skidpad 0.95g

braking 70 to 0mph 160ft

some other interesting figures

0-100mph 11.1 secs

0-120mph 16.5 secs

0-150mph 29.6 secs

Rolling start 5 to 60mph in 5.9secs.