The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Registering my supra in U.K. flamin nightmare!!!

Guest malenko

Guest malenko

Ive just moved back to U.K. from Guernsey and brought my beloved Supra with me and now have to register it but it proving a nightmare! plus its a jap import so im having to pay £72 for a certificate to prove its age!

What with all the forms and tests and charges, it now looks like im going to have to pay Customs 17.5% of the value!!!!!!!!!!! (wankers!) but to do this i need a valuation certificate to prove how much the car is worth. Anyone out there know anyway to go about this or even been in the same situation?

Please help as its doing my head in:taped:

If you've owned it and used it in Guernsey for 6 months with proof (like the odd petrol receipt etc) then it should qualify for personal import status and a lot of the headaches should be removed - look up the DVLA and VOSA websites :)

Cheers,

Brian.

Ive just moved back to U.K. from Guernsey and brought my beloved Supra with me and now have to register it but it proving a nightmare! plus its a jap import so im having to pay £72 for a certificate to prove its age!

What with all the forms and tests and charges, it now looks like im going to have to pay Customs 17.5% of the value!!!!!!!!!!! (wankers!) but to do this i need a valuation certificate to prove how much the car is worth. Anyone out there know anyway to go about this or even been in the same situation?

Please help as its doing my head in:taped:

Aren't the channel islands a "tax haven"?

Guest malenko

Channel islands a "tax haven", unfortunatly not. Its a bit of a myth. All it is you dont pay english but you still have to pay tax to the guernsey states (government) the only exemptions is for the banks and the big fat money spinners. Its total shit. But, is a very good place for such cars cause there is no MOT's! and insurance is cheap cause there's rarely any car theft but there is a downer, the biggest speed limit is 35mph! and the roads are really short and narrow so by time you get to third gear you have too slow down.

Ive owned the car there for three years and yes it qualifies me for personal import but it still dont change much! and i had a quote today from a private dealer on a nationwide database that my model is worth 7 grand trade price so that is gonna be 1400 in fuckin tax!!!! if that happens

Supra Alloys 006.jpg

I didn't think VAT/Duty applied to your own car brought in? That's like saying because you own a tv and you want to bring it with the rest of your stuff as you move house they want VAT on it!? Where would it end?

What a load of crap.

theres no duty if it ten years old, just vat.

Also has any of your paper work or data/vin tag got any date of manufacture

numbers, photo them and hand them in with vat declaration form,mot and

used car registration form.

If its the same price for u.s cars it costs me £125 ish.

Guest malenko

I hope so mate but got so many forms from DVLA with so many contradictions just dont know whats right or not and with it being from guernsey and a jap its a very grey area. I found out today though thats its a month over ten year old so lets cross fingers :) im waiting for the forms from customs but im sure im still gonna need proof of value so where can i get it

Guest malenko

Thanx man. Just wish they made it simple for you to understand and do.

Forms, forms, forms, forms aarghh!!!

Yeah asked a trader today but aint gonna get a low value cause like he said they have the same system which will give the value so if i come in with 500 to a 1000 there gonna twig but if customs or whoever have that system then why the hell do they need bloody proof!

Guest malenko

Cheers Ian R! and now im in the uk its time to start modding it.

Thanx for all your input and you were right, ive just found that out.

So for anyone in same sitution, if you've been outside the eu for 12 month or more and owned the car for 3-6 month or more and taking up new residence in uk you are exempt of tax and duty as long as you dont sell the car within the first 12 month of residence. So im firing of the forms tomorrow.

Phew! thank god! that could have cost a fortune.

Thanx again all and lets start the supra revolution :)