The mkiv Supra Owners Club

27 & Struggling To Get Insurance !!

sarjo

Has anyone else had this problem?

I'm looking for insurance quotes on a 400bhp single turbo supe. 7 years no claims bonus, licence held for 10 years! No accidents, claims or convictions. Is it worth not declaring the single for the first year and keep fingers crossed???

They say they'll only insure upto 20% greater then standard bhp! This will be my first Supra and they say it will get better next year. Cheapest quote £2000 :( and thats without declaring wheels, brakes, suspension body kit . .

Tried sky, adrian flux, lancaster . . . . .

Thats crazy, I've had quote as low as £700 for a single, i'm 29 and have 10yrs+ no claims, etc.

You sure you spoke to Jay at Sky? I think they quoted me around £800 for a single. Same with A-Plan special schemes.

PS: ALWAYS declare ALL mods, otherwsie you may as well not have any insurance.

Thats crazy, I've had quote as low as £700 for a single, i'm 29 and have 10yrs+ no claims, etc.

You sure you spoke to Jay at Sky? I think they quoted me around £800 for a single. Same with A-Plan special schemes.

Was it in your first year of owning it?

good point, no it wasn't.

Have you owned 400+bhp cars before? If so, maybe you can explain you're used this that level of power?

225 Honda Prelude the best yet so not really looking too good for me is it?

Makes me feel 17 again :blink:

Why not just get a nice TT 1st and then go from there?

Im 24 this year and my insurance with 5years ncb should be around £1000

:D Too late mate :D

Picking new motor up tomorrow. Not a problem paying it I guess, just a bit of a shocker, especially when I'm paying insurance on two others cars, a bike and a speedboat!!!

Whats their problem Clarkey? They're getting back to me first thing tomorrow. What should I be warned about????

I'm 30, 7yrs no claims, no points or convictions. Had my license 10yrs now.

I reckon I'm paying way over the odds for mine. £1200 ... and when I read that some guys on here have been quoted £800.

I'm 30, 7yrs no claims, no points or convictions. Had my license 10yrs now.

I reckon I'm paying way over the odds for mine. £1200 ... and when I read that some guys on here have been quoted £800.

What have you got covered on that for that amount of money. I think I would be happy with that :) after declaring all the mods!! How long have you had your supe cus thats another factor or so i've been told!

try admiral online, im 24 and insuring a 400bhp supra with mods declared for £460 fully comp, protected. ive 5years no claims.

Tried that tonight, wouldnt let me get passed the mod tick boxes, kept coming up error on page. Will have to give them a ring in the morning.

That seems pretty good though your quote. Are you still on your twins or running a single?

try it without mods just to get a idea, think mine was only £50 extra with the mods. but i have one of my parents as an extra driver as it drops the premium down a few hundred at least, even though im never going to let them use it!!

thats on the twin turbos, just starting a single conversion now so will be changing the insurance to suit soon

try it without mods just to get a idea, think mine was only £50 extra with the mods. but i have one of my parents as an extra driver as it drops the premium down a few hundred at least, even though im never going to let them use it!!

thats on the twin turbos, just starting a single conversion now so will be changing the insurance to suit soon

Cool - I'm on it now. Have reduced the number of mods and its let me proceed further. Also got an old fart on the policy as an additional driver, so will see what happens.

Unless Admiral have changed their policy on mods - I doubt you'll get insured for a single conversion. They wouldn't insure me with a HKS SSQ Bov or a Turbo-Timer FFS!

~edit~ That was in July 2004

Erm - let's see .. the guy on the phone must've thought 'A turbo-timer must be a "turbo-upgrade" - as that's the only box on my screen'.

And a BOV - isn't a good idea because it makes the car more attractive to thieves.

What a load of unorganised grabastic pile of amphibien shit!

What have you got covered on that for that amount of money. I think I would be happy with that :) after declaring all the mods!! How long have you had your supe cus thats another factor or so i've been told!

I've had my Supe 2 yrs. And for £1200 - that's all mods declared on a Boostlogic T61 single conversion.

:) OK, having spoken to SKY again they have come up with a more competitive quote of 1276 including an agreed valuation of 15000 for my first year of ownership. Cant do anymore on the agreed valuation without a tracker fitted - not heard that one before???

That quote includes all mods of 500bhp, single turbo conversion, s/steel exhaust, respray jobby, body kit, 19" alloys, big brakes, teign flex coilovers, 910cc injectors . . . . . . .

What do we reckon on that for a 27 yr old driver and 35 yr old named driver too?

To be honest mate, it doesn't sound like you're going to get it much cheaper. At least Sky do the agreed value and like-for-like swap on mods, which most companies do not offer.

Also, with a car like yours I'd want to get a tracker fitting anyway!