The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fuel an Oil Filter

Alex

Ok, I'm going to do an oil change etc asap.

I've heard about hi flow fuel filters and hi performance oil filters. But that's about all I've heard.

Who sells em, how much and are the worth the cost. A standard Toyota sourced oil filter is about £10 so I think I can push the boat out on this item!

Regards

Alex H

The items in question can be sourced from a number of places. Problem is though, the up-rated stuff tends to be physically larger.

They are normally incorporated at the design stage. For example, one of my ideas with the oil cooler design is to have a remote filter head which will be mounted so as to give more space for a larger oil filter. At the stock location there simply isn't room.

Yours,

J

So, who make them? I've found one kit in the States but it requires a replacement fuel pump to get the uprated fuel filter (guess it stands to reason)

I would like to deal with a UK suplier so if I could have some names I can take it from there....

Cheers

Phil..........

That's the main reason why I thought the thing just *had* to go in a remote location. I can't believe how hard the filter is to get to. I developed a way of swapping it from the top by releasing the P/Steering tank and tie-wrapping it out of the way and reaching down the side. But fiddly or what.

Alex..........

The guy you really need to contact is Chris Wilson. He knows more about uprated race stuff than the whole Supras list put together. I'm sure he'll be able to supply you with whatever parts you need.

It appears, however, he is not on this list. Which is a shame really. Not only is he a very valuable source of knowledge, he's a tops guy to boot.

Yours,

J

I don't know to be honest. I just prefer the unscrew from above method. But it's darned fiddly however you do it. With my method you need to stuff the underneath of the filter with some rags in order to absorb the oil. Whereas the other way the operator tends to absorb it. :)

Yours,

J

Ash

I too was fairly amazed at the lack of space there was to get the damn oil filter out from above !  so much so that i left it to someone else.   I haven't got axle stands or ramps so couldn't really do it from below.

Please could you post ste-by-step instructions on how to get the oil filter off from above?   Chris Wilson also said that you need to get the PAS reservoir out the way and then it's possible.    

Any chance of a 1, 2, 3 ??  

cheers

Well, basically all you do is remove the PS tank. Undo the three bolts and unclip the section of the wiring loom that is also attached to the tank mountings and hold it back with a plastic tie-wrap. This gives you just enough space to reach down and undo the filter.

Yours,

J  

I have a much better method. I call it the Powerstation approach.

That is, I approach Powerstation and I pay them to do it all.

D'you know, I never get a drop of oil anywhere on me, incidentally, they don't either.

They add flushing agent, wizz car up into the air, complain bitterly about the effing filter and then leave it draining for 30 minutes.

Then they fill it up with Silkolene and charge me a pittance.

No incentive for me to go anywhere near it.

Yes, but I get all my fun playing with the wiggly copper bits, only getting my hands dirty when absolutely necessary.

E.g. by pulling my front bumper off and taking it to the back door of the body-shop, collecting it on a Saturday morning and re-fitting it myself, I saved £400+ on the hole filling and painting. That falls into the realm of necessary