The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RLTC question.

RedM

I'm assuming that this has been asked before but with 20 pages of search results I'm going to ask again, rather than wade through them all.

RLTC fitted to an auto TT. What remains of the stock TC unit? Does it still work in the background? Does removing it affect anything on the auto (gear changes, I'm sure I read something, somewhere).

Basically, will I be free of it and it's stupid inteferring and flashing lights?

Thanks

By installing RLTC you actually do nothing to the stock system. So it will still function unless you turn it off. In maunal car you can remove stock TC altogether. I the auto it is not quite so simple. The TB butterfly that induces the TC effect also has autogear box functions. It can be removed in the auto but you have to understand the consequences. But for short drag runs just pulling the TC fuse will give improvements, but you have to put up with flashing warning lights.

I have a couple of blanking kits left to enable removal of the butterfly.

By installing RLTC you actually do nothing to the stock system. So it will still function unless you turn it off. In maunal car you can remove stock TC altogether. I the auto it is not quite so simple. The TB butterfly that induces the TC effect also has autogear box functions. It can be removed in the auto but you have to understand the consequences. But for short drag runs just pulling the TC fuse will give improvements, but you have to put up with flashing warning lights.

I have a couple of blanking kits left to enable removal of the butterfly.

What are the consequences? Why bother with RLTC if the stock TC is still going to be f**king everything up in it bull in a china shop way? Does leaving the stock TC in place affect RLTC in any negative way?

Having done some research, and after speaking to the very helpful Mr. Walker at Envy, it appears that removing the stock TC makes gear changes in an auto somewhat jerky.

Leaving it in means that you have to turn it off whenever you drive!

Anyone with an auto have an opinion either way on their RLTC set-up? What would be the best option?

the consequences are harder gearshifts, more wear on the transmission. the traction butterfly works to reduce torque by momentarily reducing airflow on the gearshift.

you need to turn off stock trac control. if you can't be arsed to do this everytime you get in the car than there is some mod you can do to the switch (or wiring) that permenently turns it off but leaves everything else to work as it should. i don't know what the mod is but a quick search on supraforums or here should show it up.

Hi Nigel .. do you know if thre are any downsides (mechanically) to just turning it off everytime you go in it, I mean, will it still mean the autobox makes harder gear shifts and potential long term damage ?

Sorry for the hijack Red :)

Shaun.

That's not a hijack in my opinion. I've been wondering the same myself.

How is RLTC if you forget to turn the stock system off?

I'm thinking of not having the thingummy removed at the time of install. Will sort it out later. Read a thread were Matt Harwood put his stock unit back in to smooth the changes.

Can't find the mod that Nigel referred to though!

Hi Nigel .. do you know if thre are any downsides (mechanically) to just turning it off everytime you go in it

there are non.

will it still mean the autobox makes harder gear shifts and potential long term damage ?

removing trac fuse, trac butterfly or trac ecu will cause the gearbox problems.

martin, i'm sure there is something you can do to turn it off completely but maybe im mistaken. is there nothing on supraforums? i'll have a search around later on if i get time.

How is RLTC if you forget to turn the stock system off?

both systems will try to work at the same time, so rltc will start to cut injector pulses and then stock trac will wade in late and shut power right down, as usual.

it won't cause any damage, except for when that hgv comes careering into the side of your car

martin, i'm sure there is something you can do to turn it off completely but maybe im mistaken. is there nothing on supraforums? i'll have a search around later on if i get time.

I found a reference on here to a system from HKS that seemed to do the trick. I'll find the thread again when I get home.

I'm finding it hard to believe there are no complaints about the half-a-job you get on an auto when you install RLTC.

BTW, even turning the stock TC off doesn't turn it off fully. Bloody Toyota. :banghead:

Hi Nigel .. do you know if thre are any downsides (mechanically) to just turning it off everytime you go in it, I mean, will it still mean the autobox makes harder gear shifts and potential long term damage ?

Turning off the stock TC with the button will make no difference to the gear changes, but it will disable the TC, so ideally what you need to do is just wire up the TC so that it is permanently turned off and then remove the anoying TC bulb from the dash so it is not permanently lit.

I went throught the whole romoval of the butterfly in an auto. It was a real pain in the arse. Only kept it like it for two weeks as the changes were to harsh at WOT and I did not like the thought of what it might be doing to the box. I then put the who thing back to stock. I just switch the stock system off every time I get in the car. It is not much hastle really, but there is a way to wire it so it will not come on.

If anyone is thinking, why bother will RLTC if it is so much hastle in an auto. Stop right now. RLTC will totally transform your car particularly in the cold wet months of the year.

I'm finding it hard to believe there are no complaints about the half-a-job you get on an auto when you install RLTC.

it isn't half a job it's just a bit more work. on the 6 speed you can just rip everything out, butterfly, ecu the lot. just rubbing it in a bit :)

BTW, even turning the stock TC off doesn't turn it off fully

what do you mean? pressing the button to trac off will stop the trac throttle plate closing after wheel slip is detected.

I found a reference on here to a system from HKS that seemed to do the trick. I'll find the thread again when I get home.

the thing i remember was a simple wiring thing, not a device as such.

the stock trac switch is just a push release switch with two wires (the other 2 are for the backlight) Dont know for sure, but you could try just shorting the two wires together. Similar effect to keeping the switch pushed in all the time. Might be worth a try to see what happens.