The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Richardson Autos?

Shilakadaddy

Hi guys,

I've been lurking around the forum for a little while now, trying to learn as much as possible about the supra before I buy one, but thought it was about time i actually posted :)

I currently own a VW Corrado G60, which i'm putting up for sale this week. Once thats gone i should have around £7-8k to spend on a J-Spec Black TT (has to be black! ;) ) My budget was a little higher before (around £9k) as i really wanted the 6 Speed, however I've decided to spend a little less on the car initially as I don't fancy sinking all my money into it. And now I'm considering the Auto too - everyone seems to rate them, so I'm going to take a trip up to Vine Place as this is relatively nearby, and see if they'll let me have a test drive of a few.

Anyway, I've been keeping an eye out here for any possibilities that come up for sale, and also looking on autotrader. I keep seeing that a place called "Richardson Autos" that has various supras for sale, and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them? I'm not usually a fan of buying from a trader anyway (as they have to make money), but it would seem that there are a lot more available from traders than there are from private sellers, so they can't really be dismissed.

Thanks for any help,

Chris

Do you mean "Richardson Autos" in Bournemouth?

If so, I've popped in there a couple of times and spoke to the owner, he doesn't seem to know alot about supras, for example, one time I stopped by to see what he had in, there was a black GZ (with a bit of body damage) for £11K average mileage and right next to it a white SZ Aero with rough interior for the same money, both '93 cars.

I've seen other supras he's had and to be honest there was nothing too special about any of them, all seemed to be sourced straight of the UK docks without any forethought.

However, I was last over there over 8 months ago, so him and his stock quality may have changed a bit since then.

HTH

Weirdly yes... I bought my Supra from Richardson Autos.. in Bournemouth?

The guy who runs it was really nice and had me looking around the car (with a torch underneath) for well over two hours... my god can he talk! had a 'take your time' test drive and nothing was rushed... as he mentioned when I bought it.. it's a gamble for him to sell a J-Spec, as the history (with any import) is never going to be as clear as with a domestic motor - so you will always have that inherent risk with a J-Spec.

I have had the car for over a year now and have never had any problems with it and have never had a reason to even take it in a garage (apart from services).

When I bought the car he got me an Avitel (sp?) Cat 1 alarm fitted before I picked it up, and I got a private reg plate 'in with the deal'.. to be honest I looked around a bit when I got mine and the one I got from here was (well, category 4 import) but it was like a new car...

So based on my experience I would recommend - but I have no experience of after sales service as I didn't actually need any.... :)

Weirdly yes... I bought my Supra from Richardson Autos.. in Bournemouth?

The guy who runs it was really nice and had me looking around the car (with a torch underneath) for well over two hours... my god can he talk! had a 'take your time' test drive and nothing was rushed... as he mentioned when I bought it.. it's a gamble for him to sell a J-Spec, as the history (with any import) is never going to be as clear as with a domestic motor - so you will always have that inherent risk with a J-Spec.

I have had the car for over a year now and have never had any problems with it and have never had a reason to even take it in a garage (apart from services).

When I bought the car he got me an Avitel (sp?) Cat 1 alarm fitted before I picked it up, and I got a private reg plate 'in with the deal'.. to be honest I looked around a bit when I got mine and the one I got from here was (well, category 4 import) but it was like a new car...

So based on my experience I would recommend - but I have no experience of after sales service as I didn't actually need any.... :)

Yeah the guy was very thorough. I second the above. Just don't leave anything in the oven and pop there for a look, you'll be there hours.

Yeah I popped in there briefly once too - for 2 hours!!

I wasn't that impressed with the stock to be honest, not just the Supras either - everything just felt tired, nothing had that "look at me, I'm special" quality.

Could have just been a bad season, with no decent cars coming over. Who knows.

Guest adamt

He know's very little about supras.

I was close to buying an FTO from him, 99% of the cars there look like they've been to the moon and back.

He seems like a nice enough guy but I found he just seems to tell you what you want to hear.

Won't move on price at all I found....

I went elsewhere in the end.

I do think he just takes pot luck with his cars.

And yes...the old git talks for hours, you won't get a word out of his wife tho....I think she arrived in the boot of on of his sups...herro!!

Cheers Jurgen, I sent you a message a little while ago about possibly importing a Black TT6. The only thing that puts me off the import process is the time it takes, however i'm sure i'll be hunting around the country for longer than 3 months anyway, so i will probably be in touch again to talk more seriously about it :)