The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Not so cheap runaround...clearly Headgasket!

whitesupratt

Look at this picture of my L reg Astra runaround oil cap! I picked the car up for £250 MOT and taxed, but it looks like it wasnt so cheap! Judging by the fact theres enough Mayo to make a salad Its pretty obvious the head gasket has gone.

Luckily as its an old Vauxhall, I can get a gasket set for about £30, and just do it myself, but what a pain!

More Supra money gone! :(

Lets hope the head doest need skimmed tho!

Astra Cap.jpg

the last few days of driving it has been sitting in the red at 110 degrees. Then i checked the coolant level yesterday and there was NONE! So i put new coolant in it, took it down the road and then all the creamy fluid on the oil cap appeared! BUT it still drives ok, and doesnt get hot anymore.:shrug:

Its not too much hassle if it is the gasket, i can do it in about hour. and get e gasket for about tenner.

The heads on Vauxhalls of that era had a reputation for going porous, so it would be a good idea to have it pressure tested before sticking it all back together and finding that its no better :(

Im sure this was only the early 16v heads on the XE and LET engines.

At the end of the day you paid 250 squid for it, the depreciation on any car is going to be way more than that. If its taxed and tested, roadworthy and you only have to pay for fuel for a year then you have a bargain not withstanding the fact you have to change a headgasket which by the sound of it will be inexpensive and a DIY jobbie.

Exactly, I thought for £250 taxed and tested, i can live with doing the HG. like I say, ill just do it myself tomorrow eve.

Im only going to throw the car away when im done with it.

Just a pain in the arse, just got the Supra fixed and healthy now, and the runaround dies! sods law!