The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Suspension

Supra-Dupra

After getting new rims fitted yesterday see here, and got to bring it out on the new rims today properly, only to find some rubbing on the front archs, only when turning really, a 10mm raise would be ideal but I cant afford a new suspension, so thats out of the question, plus this one was perfect with the old rims :(

Any ideas ? Arch mod Maybe ?

Arch mods are going to be yur only option really, unless you put up with it until you can change the suspension, unless you want to try yourself, any bodyshop can so it.

I used to do arch mods daily on various cars!

Thought as much but I wont go at that myself, will get someone with experience to do it. Thanks

i was considering this as i have a sever problem on the offside front...even with coilovers,no matter how mush i try and raise it, it still sits too low on the o/s/f. i also considered having 10mm spacers in the shape of the top mounts made to sit between the shock and the innerwheel arch mounting surface thereby raising the car 10mm at the front...just an idea. i was quoted 25 quid by my local fabricator to have these made on the template i supplied. There is enough thread on the topmount bolts to allow a 10mm spacer to be used and still aloow it to be secure....how safe this would be im not too sure

pm sent to supra-dupra

ok i have got the exact same problem, i went to koni's and eibachs and down to 18's with 235 on the front and i was rubbing, so my standard set up is back on the front and my koni's are away to a machine shop to get spacers made that are getting made from mild steel and lathed out in the middle so that it slides down the strut and it sits on the spring

making a spacer at the top mount woudl not be advisable, the way i am going down is better, i cant afford a new suspension after fitting the koni's and eibachs brand new

So have you guys increased your rolling radius on the front wheels by going up an inch or two from stock and having too high a profile on your tyres?

There are tyre circumference calculators all over the internet to make sure you keep this within 2.5% tolerence. Also by increasing the diameter of you wheel/tyre package, your speedo will now be a fair way out too.

I've had 3 sets of wheels on at least 3 different combinations of suspension over the last 5 years or so and never had any problems. If you go up a wheel size, you should also come down a profile on your tyres. Use one of the calculators on line to get as close as you can.

See here

(If you have a stock set up of 235x45x17", you can go to 275x35x18" and still be within about 1% of the original diameter.

If you're getting rubbing when you turn the wheels, then this is a different problem altogether and you may be getting into an offset problem for which the only cure may be the dreaded spacers.

So have you guys increased your rolling radius on the front wheels by going up an inch or two from stock and having too high a profile on your tyres?

There are tyre circumference calculators all over the internet to make sure you keep this within 2.5% tolerence. Also by increasing the diameter of you wheel/tyre package, your speedo will now be a fair way out too.

I've had 3 sets of wheels on at least 3 different combinations of suspension over the last 5 years or so and never had any problems. If you go up a wheel size, you should also come down a profile on your tyres. Use one of the calculators on line to get as close as you can.

See here

(If you have a stock set up of 235x45x17", you can go to 275x35x18" and still be within about 1% of the original diameter.

If you're getting rubbing when you turn the wheels, then this is a different problem altogether and you may be getting into an offset problem for which the only cure may be the dreaded spacers.

8.5 x 9.5 same size as the ones I just took off which fitted perfectly, but the new ones are deep dish style. Same tyres that were on the older rims are now on the new