The mkiv Supra Owners Club

possible problem with Toyota

RobSheffield

need some advice if possible, apologies in advance for the Essay :)

I had a broken wheel bearing, bought parts from Steve Manley, Phoned Pentagon Toyota in Rotherham for a fitting quote. they said £30 if the hub is off the car, approx £00 if its on the car. they stated they didnt want to remove my hub, and so the £300 was an 'at least' figure. they stated that it was likely they would sheer some bolts if they removed it. So, 5 days later, i managed to remove it myself. it looked a massive job, but i did it. main problem was keeping warm really, and as i moved systematically and carefully through it, using my CD rom manual, i was ok really.

Took my hub to Toyota, they say the drive flange is well worn, and needs to be replaced, more parts from Steve Manley (nice one :)) and they call me eventually to say its done. fit it all back, as stated in the manual, torque it all up, nice one i think, easy :)

Collect and refit, drive a few miles to a show, hear a kind of thrumming noise, not good i think, but is this the sound of a new bearing fettling itself in some way. noise abates a little, so i think must be ok. on returning from the show, around 5 miles from home noise starts again. gradually getting worse, but not to the extent where you think oh shit, its coming off...i just kept my speed down and got home.

Having jacked up the car and grabbed the wheel, it is quite literally all over the place. totally shot. Now having removed the wheel, and the hub from the car, i can see that the hub/drive flange is rocking in its bearings within the axle carrier.....(see pic)

Just phoned Toyota, everyone has gone home, and i will get a call from the General Manager in the morning.

The advice i require is am i within my rights to kick off in the biggest of styles? Im so totally pissed off with this repair, i cant be bothered with the car, im thinking of selling :(

must stress that this is in no way reflective of Steve Manley

hub.JPG

it had been making a very quiet grumbling on reversing, and clonked at a certain point on my drive. it sounded like a slight tinkling, and it had really been bugging me. id had no idea it was as bad as a bearing going. one night out with a mate, it started screaching, and only bein 100 yards from home, i returned and gave him a lift home in my brothers car.

on checking i found i could rock the wheel a little, and it was a bit loose. its actually a lot worse now, with new bearing and drive flange.

when i first got the car, its front bearing was also gone, but i suspect it was a race type car in japland as it came with drift spec suspension and a roll cage.

like i said, no bad reflection on Steve Manley, and no bad reflection on the car. its really Pentagon Toyota im having grief with

I had this when changed by bearings, all because i didnt use the one of the new 'Inner Race' parts. The old one looked fine, no damage, no marks so it was easier to leave it in (looked a right PITA to get out).

So left it in, pressed in the rest of the bearing, refitted hub to the car, put the wheel back on to find the wheel was all over the place.

Took it all apart again and now realised that the new 'Inner Race' part was a slightly different size, so had to get the bearing out again, including the other 'Inner Race'. Fitted the new one, pressed it all back in, refit on car and all was know ok.

Wonder if they have done the same??

Hope that makes sense

not really mate

old bearing 2 piece like you say, new bearing one piece negating requirement to have an inner race put into place.

went out with the old inner race from the old knackered bearing, and it is replaced by a one piece inner, so its not that

you can literally grab the studs and move the drive flange part (named 'hub' on the diagram) around inside the axle carrier

• 4 weeks later...