The mkiv Supra Owners Club

2jz-gte

ZamRemo

Hello guys (and gals),

I am new to this forum and this is my very first post. My name's Ammaz, though I am widely known as 'Dude' amongst my friends. I live in London, and own a Toyota Soarer 2.5 Twin Turbo. I want to undertake modifications/changes on my currently stock Soarer. I basically want to replace the current stock 1JZ-GTE with a 2JZ-GTE engine to make it more powerful. I also want to replace the current auto transmission with a 6 speed manual transmission.

After some surfing and questioning friends and stuff, I have thought that I have two options

1) To acquire a 2JZ-GTE and a manual transmission from a Supra car, either one which is going to the breakers or a write off etc.

2) To get a brand new short block, head, bottom end fully balanced and a transmission from a supplier.

Can you guys guide me as to what the strengths, weaknesses, oppurtunities, and any risks invovled with either of those two options are. In addition, if you guys know any sources/suppliers/contacts that can help me in getting me the engine and transmission I need.

Thanks all.

JohnK on here is looking into doing a six speed swap i believe and has done a bit of research, as for the engine swap, I don't know much about soarers but there are a couple of soarer owners on here that may be able to help, Gamer is one (past owner).

HTH

Edit to say this thread is getting a bit surreal!

Welcome, excuse the others! lol, yep scrappers would be the best bet or ebay, I've seen a few engines and gearboxes come up in the last few months, how much power are you aiming for as I thought the 1JZ was pretty damn strong too?? and post some pics of your soarer! :)

I don't know of any that have been built in the UK, although a couple have been imported.

A member of TIF is in the the early stages of putting a 2JZ-GTE in a Soarer. I think it will be auto, though.

http://www.toyotaimportsforum.co.uk

There are some 2JZ-GTE engined Soarers in Australia, and at least one with a Supra 6-speed.

Soarer Central and the ALSC Archive

http://soarercentral.com/cgi-bin/sc-forum/discus.cgi

Welcome, excuse the others! lol, yep scrappers would be the best bet or ebay, I've seen a few engines and gearboxes come up in the last few months, how much power are you aiming for as I thought the 1JZ was pretty damn strong too?? and post some pics of your soarer! :)

Thanks bro. I am looking to power her up to something like 600-700-800RWHP. But will try not to make it overkill for my needs. Okay, I'll post some pics soon.

I don't know of any that have been built in the UK, although a couple have been imported.

A member of TIF is in the the early stages of putting a 2JZ-GTE in a Soarer. I think it will be auto, though.

http://www.toyotaimportsforum.co.uk

There are some 2JZ-GTE engined Soarers in Australia, and at least one with a Supra 6-speed.

Soarer Central and the ALSC Archive

http://soarercentral.com/cgi-bin/sc-forum/discus.cgi

Thanks, dude, I'll check 'em out.