The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Young supra drivers?

Supra786

Hello everyone. Ever since I got my license at 17, i've wanted a supra, the sheer looks alone made me fall in love with it. I finally got one after a two year wait at the age of 19. But the problem is I've found owning a supra at such a young age a hassle. Its either the looks you get when filling up or the police constantly pulling me other or the person at the zebra crossing thinking I might run them over. What is it with people?

Its not my fault that I own a supra? Is it? Don't get me wrong I have alot of respect for my soop and have always treated it well. I hardly ever drive in an agressive manner or think I own the road even though you can hear me a mile off but the thing is everytime I try drive sensibly, changing gears at the right time and so on some f**king idiots up my ass or trying to take me on in there shitty car. Sorry to go on but what are the views of the forum members especially the older generation of supra owners.

We get a bad rep due to the 'yoofs' in this world who act like twocers (which most of them are).

I remember having a security guard follow us around a shop once when I was with 3 of my mates - but TBH I probably would do in his position!! Just the way it is.

All you can do is be yourself and not give in to it - eventually someone will suprise you by giving you half a chance!

Don't worry about it don't think its your age more the car that draws the attention. Its just one of those things you have to get used to i'm afraid, but on the upside they do get the attention that you expect when you drive them.

Its not my fault that I own a supra? Is it?

Well yeah, of course it is. Nobody made you buy one. :D

If you're very young looking folks are bound to look at you and wonder if it's your car etc. Don't worry about it, it's their problem not yours.

How many times have the police pulled you over? What were you doing at the time? If they see you posing about around town all the time they are more likely to get a good look at you and wonder if you should be driving it (Are you old enough? Is it yours? etc). If you're just driving normally (commuting etc), and the car isn't all kevved up, I would expect to almost never get pulled over.

If you're just driving normally (commuting etc), and the car isn't all kevved up, I would expect to almost never get pulled over.

Don't get me worng I love my soop, usually its when i visit a mates house or parked up inspecting my tyre thread, the worst was getting checked 3 times in the night and no it ain't "kevved up" other than an exhaust its just standard. And yea it probably is my fault for buying the soop but i couldn't help it, it was staring at me!:D

Hey mate,

for a start, how the hell did you get insured at 19?! i had to wait till i was 21...such a long wait!

... Its either the looks you get when filling up

i love these stares, ive always seen it as though people are looking at the car though, as opposed to looking at me and thinking how am i driving that at such a young age.

... or the police constantly pulling me [/Quote]

ive never been pulled in the Supe. i used to get pulled in my Civic a lot, but the Supe, the feds dont even look twice at me. it seems as though they think its going to be a responsible 'older' driver at the drivers seat, as opposed to a young lad, cos young lads surely cant drive these cars...

... I try drive sensibly, changing gears at the right time and so on some f**king idiots up my ass or trying to take me on in there shitty car.

i think ive read somewhere that the Superman theory should be put into practice in these sotuations. 'Ive got a fast car, that shitty nova driver knows ive got a fast car, i dont need to prove it...'

With in the last year the amount of new members under 22 has increased at such a rapid rate it's crazy, I think when I joined here I was the only person considering one at 19 at the time just over 3 years ago and I loved it as it was definately a much more maturer owners club.

There must have been maybe a new member join maybe every 2 weeks or something like that as there were only about 1000 members when I joined, but now it seems everyone has one and the uniqueness has definately gone, I'd say the members that have been here from day 1 are probably a bit sick of it as i'm sure they are thinking that you'll crash, wont treat it right or afford to run it, which imo is totally true, Unless your filthy rich how anyone under 21 can afford to run something like this is beyond me! I managed it as I had a decent job at the time and had come into some money to buy the car but to do both is quite something! I've read that people are paying out over 3k for inusrance just to have one and that's totally nuts too! and totally not worth it either, much better to learn rwd in somthing like a 200sx nice and cheap to buy, learn to modify sell then get a supe.

The other thing I've noticed though that a majority of new "young" members are buying the car running it for a few months then selling up as they can't afford to run it so not much of an experience to own the car more such a short period of time so pointless too! all imho!!

Let's hope you have your's for a decent amount of time!

And yeah the hassel sucks!

You sound like a sensible guy, and you bought the Supra for all the right reasons. It's just other people that get you down.

I once put this theory to the test once by donning a baseball cap. Where I usually get mutual respect as a road user, everything changed the moment the hat was on. People will always generalise on first impressions - sometimes I catch myself doing the same thing myself, like to minicab drivers.

With this in mind, it's easy to see that people will make judgements based on what we drive too. The Supra IS a supercar that attracts as much attention as a Ferarri. There's a good side to this and I hope you see more of that soon, rather than your run of bad vibes recently. Chin up mate!

... i'm sure they are thinking that you'll crash, wont treat it right or afford to run it, which imo is totally true, Unless your filthy rich how anyone under 21 can afford to run something like this is beyond me!

Im sorry but i cant agree with this. i love my car, i put all my spare time, money and effort into her. i fit in enough time to look after her between a full time job, part time university and a girlfriend. im not filthy rich, i dont have daddy paying for the car and im assuming a lot of other younger members dont. i work to pay for my Supe, im in a decent job but am only a trainee so its not an excellent wage. the only reason i can afford to run her is because i dont have a mortgate or massive bills to pay out each month.

i think to own a house AND a Supe youve gotta be pretty damn rich :p

i cant see people who can only just afford to run their dream cars, driving them like a twat, or running them into the ground. i definately wont be anyway. if anything happens to this car, im buggered. all my eggs are in one basket, therefore i need to look after this car as much as possible.

i think that it also depends upon what the Supe is used for in respect to being able to afford to run and maintain her. tbh, i had to use the Supe for work when i first bought her, racking up about a £90 bill in fuel alone per week. this killed me, i ended up buying a run around for £100, costing me £20 per week now in fuel.

... I've read that people are paying out over 3k for inusrance just to have one and that's totally nuts too!

thats a bit loony! im paying £750 fully comp on a UK spec. :D

i think that the Supe still has a great kind of cult (right word? ) status about it. just the other day, my girlfriends mates boy friend was asking her about my Supe, 'it cant be a twin turbo, hes only 21..' and '£8k, its definately not a turbo for that money' were his words. i think this kind of thinking puts off a lot of the nieve and imature younger drivers, the owners have done their research before buying the car, meaning the owners still remain enthusiasts, passionate about their Supra(s), no matter how old they are.

You sound like a sensible guy, and you bought the Supra for all the right reasons. It's just other people that get you down.

I once put this theory to the test once by donning a baseball cap. Where I usually get mutual respect as a road user, everything changed the moment the hat was on. People will always generalise on first impressions - sometimes I catch myself doing the same thing myself, like to minicab drivers.

With this in mind, it's easy to see that people will make judgements based on what we drive too. The Supra IS a supercar that attracts as much attention as a Ferarri. There's a good side to this and I hope you see more of that soon, rather than your run of bad vibes recently. Chin up mate!

The Supra is a beautiful car and it does attract attention and i've had some really nice comments. I just can't wait for summer to arrive! Cheers mate:D

:yeahthat:

I'd say the members that have been here from day 1 are probably a bit sick of it as i'm sure they are thinking that you'll crash, wont treat it right or afford to run it, which imo is totally true, Unless your filthy rich how anyone under 21 can afford to run something like this is beyond me!The other thing I've noticed though that a majority of new "young" members are buying the car running it for a few months then selling up as they can't afford to run it so not much of an experience to own the car more such a short period of time so pointless too! all imho!!

Let's hope you have your's for a decent amount of time!

And yeah the hassel sucks!

I agree with Rob on this. How you can judge a driver on his age is absurd. I've worked pretty hard saving up for my supra and appreciate the value of money and really, really appreciate my supra. Im gratefull I have one. To think that just cause of my age I will mistreat it or think of it as a toy is IMHO unreasonable. I value my supra alot and intend to look after her the best I can and I ain't filthy rich or born with a silver spoon in my mouth. I've worked for my supra and still do in order to maintain it, with this I also am doing a degree in university. Its not beyond me to own a supra.:)

i think ive read somewhere that the Superman theory should be put into practice in these sotuations. 'Ive got a fast car, that shitty nova driver knows ive got a fast car, i dont need to prove it...'

I was thinking of getting round this by getting a flamer kit! What do you think mate?:D

i got mine's at couple of months after i turned 21. never been pulled once never had any problems with anyone just dont drive it like a fanny

dont need to be rich to run a supra either they arent really expensive to buy,fair enough the petrol is pretty poor but its acceptable.

insurance isnt that bad? ive had my renewal just in for £637 fully comp (jst turned 22)

theres 3 supra's in my wee town. all owned by 21,22 years olds.

I'm 22 got it when I was 21 and had been pulled over twice, once when I first got it as their arn't too many about the second time was for the same reason (new copper) dont get any problems now as the police are used to seeing me in it. Love smallish towns

If you think the supra's bad try getting a bike! I was stopped by the police five times one year and wasn't doing a thing wrong on any occasion. Walking round any shop without security guys following you is impossible and a lot of joe public are actually scared of you if you're wearing a leather jacket and carrying a helmet!!

Quoting my self as I did Say

"I'd say the members that have been here from day 1 are probably a bit sick of it as i'm sure they are thinking" that you'll crash, wont treat it right or afford to run it, which imo is totally true

Ok maybe I generalised a little too much but I'm just gauging what the "older" supra owner probably thinks, I'm 22 and had mine for a year and half now so hardly old but I've put all my comments from experince of seeing other people with their cars.

Of course it's true that not all young drivers are hooligans but there are plenty that are and mix that with a powerful car is just asking for trouble, and there are plenty that don't give a crap about the car that's why there are so many bad examples around today.

I think the people that find a club like this are generally going to be better behaved shall we say as they are more of an enthusiast rather than just an owner, and there is a big difference between both.

and once again In My Own Opinion! :)

i cant see people who can only just afford to run their dream cars, driving them like a twat, or running them into the ground. i definately wont be anyway. if anything happens to this car, im buggered. all my eggs are in one basket, therefore i need to look after this car as much as possible.

Just reading this through again, surely this points to the fact that you do need lots of money to run the car? as if you need to look after it you need to service it reguarly and put money in to it all the time, so for the people that can just scrape to buy one they are not going to be able to do this, so in turn won't bother or sell up!

Tom,

your right mate, if someone can only just scrape enough together to buy the car in the first place, they more than likely wont be able to afford to look after her properly, therefore wont buy in the first place or will find this out soon enough and sell up. i wouldnt say you generally need loads of money to run a Supe, however as compared to cars such as say a focus, it costs a fortune :D

however, owning a Supe doesnt have to cost a fortune. it cost me a lot more than it should because i spend my money on mods and upgrades, going to shows, road trips and meets.

by my statement, i was trying to get accross that i, and i would assume other young members, wouldnt drive around in 8k worth of car like a complete tit. if i bumped, scraped or god forbid wrote her off, id be relegated to a shit run around for a number of years, as id loose all the NCB from my insurance & id still be paying off the loan.

my main concern now is that when i 'grow up' and need to buy a house and support others apart from myself, will i have to sell the Supe. Hopefully i wont still be in a modifying stage then, so wont be spending as much...:innocent: