The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supras V Scoobies

SilverSoop

Alright guys, quick question, forgive me if its silly but do you think that a 3.0 straight six supra n/a would beat a 2.0 turbo scoobie?? How much bhp they pushin out does anyone know, any thoughts? :rolleyes:

Silver 94 j-spec n/a supra. 18'' Gewatt racing gold deep dish alloys

Factory bodykit

5spd manual

Soon to be modded :eyebrows:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There have been many discussions on this very topic my friend, depends entirely on the cars, conditions, roads and of course drivers. For example, on a straight strip the Scoob would prob have the initial edge up to about 60ish then the Supe (assuming we're talking about a N/A) would reel it in and go past. In wet conditions on windy country roads, no contest - Scoob. Similar power figs but it's not just about who has the most horses under the bonnet. Many different factors. Hope that helps! For more (prob more techy stuff) use the search button, there's been loads of posts about this

:yeahthat:

It also depends which type of scoobie you're talking about. The old classic shape is lighter and the Type R and P1 are very quick indeed (though in the dry still not a match for any decent supra). The new shape ones are no real match in the dry, they're the same weight as a Jspec Supra but have a lot less torque

cheers supersupra, its weird cos you would have thought that the supe would win cos it has six cylinders insted of four which holds more cubic capacity hence more grunt but i didnt know that the scoob would have the edge in the wet?? whys that?? :rolleyes:

Silver 94 j-spec n/a supra

One magic factor my friend - 4WD

I'm no technical expert, so can't give you the techy side of things (I'm sure someone will jump in at this point :D ) but decent power + good torque figures + 4WD system in a rally car = good acceleration in all conditions and good handling too. Try accelerating quickly in a Supe in the wet (well actually, on second thoughts, don't). Still - who'd want a Scoob, they're ugly, and basically a glorified family saloon ;)

cheers supersupra, its weird cos you would have thought that the supe would win cos it has six cylinders insted of four which holds more cubic capacity hence more grunt but i didnt know that the scoob would have the edge in the wet?? whys that?? :rolleyes:

With regards to this, my understanding is that the Supe has the advantage at higher speeds (when the extra 2 cylinders help) which is when the Supe will destroy the similar powered Scoob, but once more I may not be right in this, this is what I've always thought! :D

Yeah course the scoobs are 4wd forgot that. I dont want a scoob anyway, just wonderin what they push out cos im going to race my mate rob in his scoob turbo tomorrow. Just i dont want to be humiliated ya know?? Ive tried acceleratin in the wet like you said, dont its wheel spinning and its arse end all over the place!! Fun though he he!!

A P1 has 280bhp and would eat you alive. A TT would struggle against one, you'd beat it- eventually.

A mate of mine has a mildly modified one and we've had a few spirited runs on the "13 bends of death" between Reading and Oxford. In the dry I have no problems keeping up with him through the sharpest of corners, coming our of them I can easily overtake him (if the road allows), even from 40mph speeds. On the straights its an easy kill, with both of us flat out I can overtake with ease.

In wet, cold or slippery conditions, lets just say its a different story... ! :taped:

280 BHP, You sure, christ didnt know they have that much, no wonder that cocky bastard in his p1 was grinning at me

Yep looks like the P1's stock figs are 276bhp, 260 torque so reckon you'd get pretty soundly beaten if that's what he's got. :( Gutted for you. I know how you feel though, my mate at work's got an Impreza UK 300 - 305 bhp - very very fast, and amazing in the wet.

A mate of mine has a mildly modified one and we've had a few spirited runs on the "13 bends of death" between Reading and Oxford. In the dry I have no problems keeping up with him through the sharpest of corners, coming our of them I can easily overtake him (if the road allows), even from 40mph speeds. On the straights its an easy kill, with both of us flat out I can overtake with ease.

In wet, cold or slippery conditions, lets just say its a different story... ! :taped:

Can I borrow your tubbies to race my mate's Scoob? :D

With regard to super supra, what mods you got done then??

HKS exhaust, HKS induction (although looking to go back to std asap), CW double de-cat pipes - best perf mod to do in my opinion. Not much else you can do perf wise on an N/A, but it's quick enough for me.......for now:eyebrows:

Yeah ive got an n/a and im looking for as much bhp as poss cos i cant get insured on a tt, 220 bhp isnt fast enough. I NEED MORD POWER. Any thoughts how i can get more??

How many horses you got then super supra????

No idea what mine's running, I imagine somewhere around the 240 mark, but I may be wrong. Wouldn't mind finding out actually. The double de-cat is the best way to get more power, the two cats are evil - send them straight to hell:D Oh and it sounds amazing too with the right exhaust. If you have the money, contact Chris Wilson - best in the business if you ask me and a generally top bloke too :thumbs:

Have you seriously looked into that? NA's normally cost more to insure than TT's. Strange but true!

Not really mate, well not in my experience anyway, the only time they cost more is if you're comparing UK TT's to N/A's then sure they cost more cos for some reason ins comps think it'll be cheaper to fix a UK car even though they're basically the same parts :rolleyes: But I got a N/A cos I couldn't justify paying 3k to insure a TT!

Really well i phoned up adrian flux who im insured with, they wouldnt insure me on a tt because its a tt but would just about give it to me for an n/a. probably cos of my age though??

Adrian Flux... well, sucks. Try some companies that know what they're talking about. Aplan special schemes or Sky are good if you're 25+