The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Given up on a UK TT

charlton

I've given up on the search for the UK TT and decided to get an import non turbo. The non turbo only has 5 gears whereas the TT has 6 - thinking long term now, when I decide the non turbo is to grow up into a single turbo, will it be possible to swap the gear boxes from a non turbo to a 6 speed TT 'box to make the most out of the new found power? Also, I've never bought an import before so what should I look out for and ask to see? any help would be great about importing. swapping the 'boxes or if your selling a manual UK TT?

I'm 21 and got my quote for a UK TT down to £1100 which I think is brilliant. I have got bored of waiting for another TT after one was taken before I could get it so I have decided to get or look into a non turbo import as in theory it should be cheaper than an import TT

a non turbo caught my eye so I am really keen on this - what do you think? I will have alook at insuring an import TT though

http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD_web/servlet/media?id=275393993

http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD_web/servlet/media?id=275394021

a non turbo caught my eye so I am really keen on this - what do you think? I will have alook at insuring an import TT though

http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD_web/servlet/media?id=275393993

http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD_web/servlet/media?id=275394021

That looks like it's from Keighley? if it is then have a search for them on here, apparently not all that great, I'd personally go for the Import TT as with what others have said it will be cheaper to insure than the n/a but if you plan to single an n/a later on then get the newest n/a you can say a 98+ which will obviously be a facelift, could be a vvti and if you get an sz-r this will have the 6 speed getrag box, take your time in looking it will be worth waiting for the right one believe me!

If you plan just for bpu then go for TT if you have no intention of going for a single later on, I'd rather have a much newer n/a on the drive than an older TT for the same price, as the mods available for the n/a are just as good and the engine is just as strong!

All depends what you want though, I had no intention on going single so I went with the TT!

Just seen the ad on autotrader, it is from Keighly and supposidly a 2000, survey says, wah wah, no chance, unless of course it was crashed then the front lights were changed to yellow pre facelift's and the same for the back lights with the adding of facelift rear side markers, either way I'd stay so far away it's untrue!, lucky you checked on here first eh?

definately - thanks for the advice guys.

I'm not too fussed if its a N/A or TT - I just want a Supra!! Obviously I want the cheapest insurance for it too which is why I went for the UK TT but with these being so few and far between, I have decided to get an import. I'd prefer to buy from someone here as I know the car has been loved rather than abused

definately - thanks for the advice guys.

I'm not too fussed if its a N/A or TT - I just want a Supra!! Obviously I want the cheapest insurance for it too which is why I went for the UK TT but with these being so few and far between, I have decided to get an import. I'd prefer to buy from someone here as I know the car has been loved rather than abused

just looked on autotrader and there are some nice looking TT's at £6995. A genuine facelift 6 speed NA for £6250 (these are nice IMO).

The insurance for NA's has always been "MORE" than for my TT's

I wouldn't buy a na thinking to going turbo later, but the NA is a good car and that 6 speed non turbo is plenty fast enough and i can almost guarantee it will be very very reliable, its barely run in. If you wanted to go turbo later then you could p/x or sell the NA and get a turbo.

Where abouts in surrey are you? I'm near guildford and can show you how a 6 speed NA goes if you like............

To this day Scott has given me the best demonstration of any supe, a few summers ago he took me for a quick spin in the rsp n/a round a few roundabouts, throwing the thing side to side trying to get the back out, it had sooo much grip it was unbelievable and it just wouldnt' step out! I'm starting to think that n/a power is better used on our roads anyhow, at least this way you can really power out of the bends.

Ah shucks :friends:

It is a lovely car to drive, LSD, close ratios, powerful enough (in isolation) and ultimately nice and controllable. Higher insurance than a TT is painful! and only keeping up with BMW Z4's & porsche boxsters is something you have to live with (can you!?).

To this day Scott has given me the best demonstration of any supe, a few summers ago he took me for a quick spin in the rsp n/a round a few roundabouts, throwing the thing side to side trying to get the back out, it had sooo much grip it was unbelievable and it just wouldnt' step out! I'm starting to think that n/a power is better used on our roads anyhow, at least this way you can really power out of the bends.
You might be right. He had no trouble at all drifting his MSB Aerotop around roundabouts when I was trying to follow him to Santa Pod. He always seems like such a nice quiet guy when you talk to him but he's a right hooligan behind the wheel of a Supe. :D :respekt: :D