The mkiv Supra Owners Club

first post, need help.....

Guest dimebag_from_he

Guest dimebag_from_he

alright i am 18 and am just about to insure a 306 but in a years time i am hoping to insure a supra or an mr2, what would be the best model of supra to go for as i am not a rich man and am still at school. any help at all will be appreciated! how much would a half decent supra cost me?

thanks

stefan

Welcome to the club mate.

TBH, half decent isn't good enough. You'll save on the outlay but maintainance of any type/model of Supra doesn't come cheap.

AFAIK there won't be much difference in insurance cost because of your age, but an import usually costs much more to insure than a UK car.

Insurance will also cost you an arm and a leg in Northern Ireland for a Supe!

To be honest, I don't understand the comment about age not making much of a difference. I work in the industry and age is a major rating factor.

Also, the gap between imports and UK cars is getting smaller all the time as there are so many more imports around now.

Guest Crazy A 64

Hey dude, I've not long been a member but I've just ordered my first Supra. 3ltr import N/A. Insurance is a killer, I've had loads of places tell me to come back when I'm 25, 30 as well as quotes ranging up to 8k! No kiding, flick through the yellows and find out ;). atm I'm only 22 and will be paying well near to 4 figures.

My car is now my wage pack at the end of pretty much every month. It's a worthy sacrifice but quite a large one all the same ;)

My advice to you is be patient, enjoy the pug and get something you really want later in life. Don't "...make do..."

Ok dude my advise would be wait for a bit honestly its worth it, I had a 1.3i Mini as a first car when I was 18, I then saw a MkII MR2 and thought what a lovely car. So I shopped around for insurance and managed to find one for £1200 third party fire & theft! So after a year with the "min" I sold it and got a half decent MR2 and within a month the Head Gasket went cost £900 to fix then a coolent pipe split so again engine out and another £400 bill. After just under a year I got shot of it as it was eating money, then got my Supra (at 21) well chuffed wish I kept the mini and just saved money and got a TT instead.

I know this is not what you want to hear and I am sure you will dismis it anyway (like I did) just be carful and think it through.

Oh you can get a decent MR2 for around 4-5k may be cheaper plus the insurance will be cheaper as its a 2.0l compaird to a 3.0l

To be honest, I don't understand the comment about age not making much of a difference. I work in the industry and age is a major rating factor.

Sorry Soop, I think I need to rephrase that. My thoughts were that being so young, it wouldn't make a difference to insure him on an N/A or TT, because they would both be phenominally high to insure at 18 in any case. I'm sure there would be a difference between them, but his agenda to buy a Supra depending on insurance quote would be pointless. :innocent:

Sorry for the yoda english earlier...

Hummmmmmmm Question... MR2.. Supra...MR2.. Supra...MR2.. Supra...

Not in the same league..... SUPRA all the way..

Although a MR2 might be a good car to learn the art of RWD, I didnt and its cost me..

So i say dream of the Sup, Learn in the MR2.. Then get the Soop, Youll Love it :)