The mkiv Supra Owners Club

6 speed clunky? Not any more!

CJ

For the past couple of weeks I have been really dissapointed by the clunky, agricultural feel of the 6 speed box on the Blue Bullet. Well, after changing the oil today and giving it some fresh V160, my opinion has changed completely.

What a transformation! The box is now exactly as it should be. Firm, precise and sporty. I am a very happy bunny. :D

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Flat4_ire

hmm, my first to second gear kinda feels how u describe, maybe i should change the gearbox oil, where u purchase this online CJ?

hmm, my first to second gear kinda feels how u describe, maybe i should change the gearbox oil, where u purchase this online CJ?

I bought mine from Steve Manley at Inchcape for about £11 per litre and you need 2 (ish). If you ring him I am sure he will send it out to you. Failing that, I know Envy also sell it.

Guest Flat4_ire
v160 transformed mt old cars gear shifts totally.if any body has a clunky gear box i would definately recommend they change their gear oil.

ok thats that so im gettin some

Mines got a goopy normal manual gearbox oil in it and 1st to 2nd is a right Bstard in this temperature. I spoke at length to Oilman on the phone about this and his advice was this. If you are running stupid HP then a thicker stronger oil might be an idea as that kind of power generally is for strip or track use and a bit of a pita 1st 2nd gearchange on cold boxes isn't really an issue for those types of cars. For stock to hybrids then the stock thinner ATF fluid is best as most people drive their cars in traffic in the cold etc etc. I have some Proper V160 ATF stuff to go in mine when I get a mo and then I'll probably alleviatte the bad gear change experience that has my Mrs telling me I have to sell the motor. Too sodding late though as I have bought its replacement.

I wouldnt argue with that. It really wasnt right at all. Today it was an absolute pleasure to drive.

I'm glad you like the 6-speed now - bet it paniced/confused you at first! When I got my VVT-i it was a nightmare to shift when cold, and the oil that came out was the wrong colour.

Toyota are generally muppets. I spoke to 3 parts people (inc manager) and the service manager at my local Toyota garage in Reading and ALL of them said they'd never heard of V160. They said they used Magnatec in all the 6 speeds they had serviced in their 'years' of experience and that basically I was talking bollocks about v160 even existing! It wasn’t until I gave them the part numbers and 2 cans of the stuff actually arrived that they believed me... And I got charged over £50 for it.

When I first got my car the gearbox and axle oil was like black treacle, swapped both and the shift was soooo much better afterwards. Its got a B&M short shift so is still a little clunky.

I think that whats happening is no-one really knows what to put in that box so they put standard manual box fluid in it. After speaking to Oilman about it its not doing any damage its just making your initial gear changes a bit more difficult. Most garages of a non toyota nature really wont wont imagine that an ATF will be in a high performance cars gearbox.

I would also add that changing the gearbox oil is as good a thing as changing the engine oil. BTW get the oil from the trader I mentioned before and it won't skint you as bad as you think. Put it this way I can't beleive people whinge about changing oils at £40 all in when it costs £60 to fill the sodding car and they'll go out and burn that off in a weekends pleasure driving????