The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Axel stands and Trolly jacks

mikeyb10supra

Draper do 2 lines of stuff. Extra cheap sh*t and some good stuff. If its mega cheap then stay away basically. With tools usually you get what you pay for. Things to look for in a trolley jack and axle stands is the height of the jack from the floor when its fully collapsed, the lower it is the easier it is to get it under low cars (this is a good thing on supras) How high up it will then extend. How sturdy it feels when fully extended (extend it and see how loose it feels against other models). The size of the pad on the top also is important, the bigger the pad the easier it is to place the jack under the car without having to use load spreaders. With axle stands again feel how tight they are on full extension. The ease of locking and distance between locking points and again the size of the load bearing surface. Also to consider is the size and construction of the feet. If you have tarmac drive get the ones with padded feet and not just right angle metal or they will chew your drive up.

Hope that helps

With axle stands, look at the width of the base, you want as wide a footprint as possible for stability. I have had a car fall off and land on top of me while on axle stands and i was off work for a month. I was undoing an exhaust manifold with a big bar and i basically pulled the whole car over and the stands just fell sideways. Fortunately it wasn't the supe or i probably wouldnt be here now. I now have a set of 10 ton truck stands with a 16" wide base.

Guest Chris_gog
Draper do a few different ones, check the load ratings on them.

Costco have some nice low trolley jacks in at the moment, I picked one up the other month but haven't opened the box yet.

How much was the jack? Means I need to make the trek to Costco again!

Michael

Do you mean low in price, or low in profile/height?

Both :)

I just popped out and checked the specifics for you...

89mm high when closed

Max lift of 543mm

3000kg capacity

It's an Arcan XL30 'Professional Low Lift Jack' - black too so it matches my car ;) Around £55 I think.