The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra TT v BMW M5

Guest jasonc

Guest jasonc

Hi ALL,

I know i'm more then likely going to get beaten up over this but i'm trying to weight up my options. I was originally dead set on getting a Supra TT but i've had very bad luck with my MR2 T, Which i've sent V.Large sums of money having fully rebuilt with all forged equipment etc.., to then knock a con rod and die 2 months ago, it came out of the garage about 6 weeks ago and lo and behold it has happened again just 6-7 weeks from having the same work being down.

I know that the MR2 T & Supra TT are two differant cars but they are both Turbo'd cars and ive been told this is the source of all problems. So i've started to look for alternatives. So am looking at MAYBE at the BMW M5. Although i haven't ruled out the Supra TT at all as i love the look of them and there performance.

So can i have so opinions/thoughts etc... I'm wanting to get the 5.0 v8 E39 version.

Thanks In Advance !!

Yours

Jason

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The M5 is a great car with plenty of performance.

But it doesn't look like anything special at all, a little boring.

There aren't any unreliability issues with the Supra that I've read about since being on here, get a low mileage well maintained car and you'll not regret it.

But it doesn't look like anything special at all, a little boring.

a little boring! shesh that's an understatement. I know the M3/M5s are good cars but have you looked out of the window lately, do you see how many beemers there are on the road? thing this they all look the same too, the M5 hardly stands out from some crappy 318i IMHO lol, they all look so samey and boring.

only thing is ive seen a few on the trader saying new engine fitted...dont inspire confidence

Some of the V8 cars along with Jaguars suffered from premature wearing of the Nikasil bore lining .

It's quite common for them to have a new engine fitted.

Best to get a car with a full BMW FSH , they should pick this up.

I think the later cars were okay though, worth checking.

Hi ALL,

I know i'm more then likely going to get beaten up over this but i'm trying to weight up my options. I was originally dead set on getting a Supra TT but i've had very bad luck with my MR2 T, Which i've sent V.Large sums of money having fully rebuilt with all forged equipment etc.., to then knock a con rod and die 2 months ago, it came out of the garage about 6 weeks ago and lo and behold it has happened again just 6-7 weeks from having the same work being down.

I know that the MR2 T & Supra TT are two differant cars but they are both Turbo'd cars and ive been told this is the source of all problems. So i've started to look for alternatives. So am looking at MAYBE at the BMW M5. Although i haven't ruled out the Supra TT at all as i love the look of them and there performance.

So can i have so opinions/thoughts etc... I'm wanting to get the 5.0 v8 E39 version.

Thanks In Advance !!

Yours

Jason

I love my supra, but if I had the money I would go for the M5

I did a track day 3 weeks ago where there was a (seemingly) factory stock new shape M6 there. it was blistereringly quick, and even the brakes seemed to be able to do more than one lap at decent speeds, which is ultra rare for a road car. I know it's not an M5, or in the same price bracket, but it was a very impressive bit of kit, I was quite taken aback by how hard I had to pedal to get by the bloody thing.

My dad drives these type of cars, and has had large m5 and s charged jags.

The Supra comes out more sporty to drive.

Cant say about the new m5 though.

Whats the spec of the mr2.

I had a mr2 turbo for 3 years with no problems at all. It has passed down to two of my friends since then and is still going strong with no problem in the last 6 years, and is well over the 100k mark

Sounds like you were just very unlucky.

Guest jasonc

Ian: Yes i did, but i was told that all it takes is for the crankshaft to be 1mm out or slightly unbalanced and thats it it will screw things.

What sort of prices are the older M5s going for?

I'd say depends what you want out of it. BPU Supra vs M5, Supra wins. What do you want out of the car, a nice easy ride or something super fast? A modified Supra will own the motorway.

Depends what you want the car for really. I remember that Audi advert for the A4 a few years ago with the yuppy with attitude that decided it wasn't really his style (must have been a dig at BM drivers)

M5 or single Tubbie supra no contest (as a M5 found out to his expense yesterday):)

When I was last purchasing I was torn between the M5 and the Supra. I eventually chose the Sup and haven't looked back. An M5 can be had for similar money, perhaps a little more if you want a good example... The insurance was also coming out at a fair bit more on the M5. Fuel economy probably about the same. The thing that detered me were the reliability issues some owners were describing - apparently the VANOS (BMW's version of VTEC) is prone to going wrong and is a £2k job to fix. This amongst other things is why an unexpired BMW warranty on M5s is almost essential and those without are worth much less.

the boot and the back seats would be a plus. If you need to ferry 4 people for long journey then I guess M5 is good and still have the grunt.

With the supra is good excuse to exclude my in laws when ever they are around but I am thinking more and more about starting my family where push chair and comfortable ride may have to come first. The rough ride of the supra is slowly doing my girlfriend in the head :)

BMW M5 or Toyota Supra tt - Toyota all the way for me.

Brother in law and father have had M5's - yep, nice car but parts and servicing are horrific prices.

And next time you take a ride out, look how many 5 series you see compared to Supes.

Supe is a fab everyday car