The mkiv Supra Owners Club

need lube

dan4

that got your attention:p

UK tt BPU

Right firstly anyone else using 5w-40 fully synthetic magnatec? Castrol ratings are that it meets A3 criteria which if i remember rightly is high performance....

I normally change oil and filter every 3-4k miles

Secondly car has filter relocation and 16row mocal oil cooler, what is the benefit of the lexus v8 oil filter fitted?

Guest dee_rz

Silkolene Pro S is what i'm using at the mo but about to change (also very good) mobil 1 tri synthetic is regarded and has been tested as the best oil you can buy, titan motorsports in the u.s and many other companys use this, i have tests myself of and some excellent results, royal purple came second was very close, mobil 1 produced both best bhp and protection, royal came second in both, out of about 10 -15 oils

mobil 1 tri synthetic is regarded and has been tested as the best oil you can buy, titan motorsports in the u.s and many other companys use this, i have tests myself of and some excellent results, royal purple came second was very close, mobil 1 produced both best bhp and protection, royal came second in both, out of about 10 -15 oils

Don't know about tri-synthetic, never heard of it is it new?

Wonder when Oilman will get involved in this thread!!!

His previous post:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showpost.php?p=632212&postcount=38

And thread:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=26527

As I said, Oilman knows.

His reply to a question asking how we tell what is Ester/PAO based:

A very difficult question to answer as most of what you see around is hydrocracked stuff (even Castrol 10w-60).

There are some products however that are PAO or PAO/Ester blends out there.

For example, all 0w oils will have a PAO content as to meet the 0w test (-35 degC) and the sae number 30,40 etc it has to be as a mineral oil cannot achieve these wide ranges.

The same goes for most 5w-40's, they may not be fully synthetic in the true sense of the word but they will contain a percentage of the good stuff (the higher the better).

10w's and 15w's etc, almost all are hydrocracked as mineral oils can manage the "w" temps much easier on their own.

So what should you look out for, well, there are the totally overpriced Redline, Royal Purple etc which are US oils or a little closer to home you have the following oils

Silkolene PRO S 5w-40 and 10w-50 (Ester/PAO)

Mobil 1 (PAO)

Fuchs Titan Supersyn Range (PAO)

Motul 300V (PAO/Ester)

Most others ignore unless the Oil company will tell you what's in them (and in most cases they won't) and................

Don't be misled by the statement "its synthetic sir" ask what type of synthetic!

Yeah I used Mobil1 for ages because it was £30 for a full change including filter.

But then I realised I was driving an expensive precision piece of engineering that requires ultimate preventative maintenance to reduce the likelyhood of future bills.

Guest dee_rz
true, it's got a profit margin much smaller than the others.;)

don't just believe what you hear all the time guys, i'll post up some test for you all, the mobil 1 tri sys has been out for years, the guy testing it is a race car builder and only uses mobil 1 tri after lots of testing, it's not the standard shit mobil 1 you get from halfrauds, i'll have a search for it, it was news to me until i read my latest read cover to cover :cool:

Yeah I used Mobil1 for ages because it was £30 for a full change including filter.

But then I realised I was driving an expensive precision piece of engineering that requires ultimate preventative maintenance to reduce the likelyhood of future bills.

Dude they are not F1 cars, they are road cars....... they are not that fragile :rolleyes:

Dude they are not F1 cars, they are road cars....... they are not that fragile :rolleyes:

But the turbos spin a damn site faster than an F1 car engine!! I'd rather have AMAZING oil running through them.

If you don't mind shoving thick gloop through your bearings then fine but I'd rather not take the chance.

£43,000 car and you want to save £30 on an oil change!