The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Foglamps 2

Digsy

A quick note about JIC rear fog conversions that will probably interest myself, Paul Booth, and nobody else ;-)

JIC use the offside reversing light (painted bulb) rear fog conversion. However, this will not get the car through its SVA test, so prior to that they fit a "Halford's special" using one of the rear number plate fixings (to avoid drilling an extra hole). The car is SVA tested in this state, and then retrofitted with the converted reversing lamp before the car is sold.

The rules for MOTs are different to SVA, and that it depends very much on where you take your car for its MOT as to whether they pick you up on your reversing light or not.

Darren

Its not the fact that the car comes from JIC that makes the difference. All taillight "conversions" are technically illegal because whatever you turn into a foglamp (be it a brake light or reversing light) is too close to the next nearest brake light.

Its the fact that JIC temporarily fit their cars with an aftermarket fog lamp just to pass the SVA test that I thought people might find interesting.

I think many garages that deal in imports will be sympathetic to the fog lamp issue in an MOT.

Darren

• 2 weeks later...

The fog lamp source turned out to be far too orange.

Spoke to Steve at JIC, who said they just use glass paint.

Got my self a kit for £7 and painted up a bulb, very good red.

At MOT today, it got no more of a look than any of the other lamps.

Tried it in the dark this evening, it now actually looks red, very bright too.:biggrin:

Paul

Red paint came in a multi coloured kit form an art / craft shop.

The bulb may need a touch up after many hours use, but that is not a problem.  I have painted up 3 bulbs and am carring one in the car so I can swap if it looks white again.

By cleaning the bulb very well with thinners before painting, the paint has adhered very well.

I tried to remove some of the paint from one bulb, I messed up, but gave up as it took too long. Stuck like shite to a blanket.

If you can't get hold of any  of the paint I could send you a bulb.

LOL.

Y'know, I didn't check for that.

It took me long enough to re-wire the damned thing so it didn't look like a spaghetti explosion under the dash, I forgot to check if they'd wired it into anything else.

The only people who've used shrink-down and solder joints are the people who fitted the alarm/immobiliser, but then they routed all their wiring by 'shortest-route' and invented their own earthing points.

What training do auto-electricians get in this country? Stupid question, I know.