The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Single Turbo mpg

Ian R

As some of you know I have recently had a T60 single Turbo conversion done by Turbofit.

I have had to run the car in for 200 miles but have been cruising at 80-90 leptons on the motorway and since clocking up the miles opened up the single a little as well.

To my amazement my TT used to achieve around 230 miles tops on a full tank to empty. Its has achieved 270 miles from full to quarter full just worked it out averaging 25 to the gallon.

What a result :)

Because you're not on boost so easily or low down the rev range. The engine is working as an NA much more of the time, hence better mpg - a change to a full standalone could see this rise further as a piggyback can't really do enough. (Well the eManage just about has enough resolution...but I'm sure you could achieve more with a standalone).

Thats very interesting. I, like most people, assumed, that a single conversion would be less fuel efficient. I understand what you're saying Alex, that makes sense, but would it be the same if you drove in a spirited way more instead of being quite economical.

Well no, cause of course once you start using the big turbo which flows lots of air you have to add enough fuel to combust with the air....and more power = more air and fuel over stock.

But on the M-way just cruising it's common to see a rise in MPG. Big singles are good for those who do lots of M-way miles with the odd blat.

Standard ECU fuel map is very rich. If you're single is mapped closer to the edge (watch that AFR!) then this may explain better economy.

A competent Map isn't close to the edge. And the stock ECU - particularly the VVTi's is brilliant on cruise. Which is what we're talking about.

Even with a T61 you get better MPG's cause it's still not like the first turbo which spools up at 3,000rpm if you twitch your foot.

To my amazement my TT used to achieve around 230 miles tops on a full tank to empty. Its has achieved 270 miles from full to quarter full just worked it out averaging 25 to the gallon.

What a result :)

I constantly get 21mpg on my TT (stock turbo setup, BPU) in London...this works out to be 300 miles to a full tank to empty. (300 odd miles...then add 63 liters of fuel)

25-26 mpg when i do a considerable amount of motorway driving.....

Your engine is working more efficently as well. Instead of the balanced log manifold, two tiny turbo housings, the EGC valve, a 2" pipe, two cats and three silencers to force exhaust gas through, you've got a fat tubular manifold, a big turbo housing, and then 3" straight through piping with marginal silencing on :) So "pumping losses" are down therefore efficiency is up :thumbs:

Of course once you get on song it's a different matter. Ludicrous amounts of fuel are used up.

-Ian