The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Running Costs

MrHanky

Hello all,

I am currently looking into various different cars to buy and would just like some input into the Supra option. Basically I really would like a Supra Twin Turbo but first want to find out about the sort of running costs in an average year. The reason I am being slightly more cautious than I usually would is due to the fact that the one turbo car I have owned (MR2 Turbo) cost me quite a lot due to certain problems and also caused me a lot of stress. My brother currently owns an R33 GT-R which is a brilliant car but due to its complexity is a money pit.

I am pretty certain that the Supra is not going to be as bad as owning a Skyline with regards to maintenance but do you TT owners out there have to spend a lot of money in the course of a year? I know that the MPG isnt going to be brilliant but thats fine, the insurance is excellent in my opinion - Elephant quoted me £698 with protected no claims and my 24 year old wife on the insurance (I am 27 and was quoted on an import tt).

So thats it basically. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

:welcome: Mark, fuel and insurance are the only real big costs you should expect. If you start modding expect to have extra cash available for various things but even basically modified BPU'd the Supra is a very reliable car.

Servicing rates vary depending on where you take it, Toyota usually charge around £70 an hour, so it'll cost you around £140 for a normal service. £300 for a major (63k mile service). (Based on my experiences anyway)

£65 to fill up a UK spec tank and that lasts for around 300-350 miles usually.

Woo hoo, thanks for the good news. I can live with those sort of costs and I dont want to do to many mods (just the basic stuff, exhaust filters and wheels to be honest) so with all that in mind I should be able to get one in February. I am just doing my remortgage at the moment for February so I will see what is available next month.

I am now getting very excited about the prospect of getting a TT.

I will probably be looking to buy from a forum member so im sure you will hear from me again in the future.

Thanks again

Mark

I can live with those sort of costs and I dont want to do to many mods (just the basic stuff, exhaust filters and wheels to be honest).

If you can find an unmolested one that is!!

As said unmodified ones are reliable and parts are cheap - the problem is when something does brake you think "Well I might as well upgrade while I'm here." and then the fun begins! :eyebrows:

Ideally when I do come to buy I would like to get a relatively unmolested one but so long as its not running over 400bhp I will be happy. Elephant seem to be very good with mods as I have a quote with the basic filter, alloys and exhaust mods for £694. Although they do have a limit on the number of mods so I will just have to be careful that I dont get something overly modded. Saying that though Sky did a reasonable quote as well £760 (unmodded) so I could always use them.

By the way nice Supra, if I had the money I would be interested but unfortunately my budget is going to be under 10k. Good luck selling though.

Mark