The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Photo Shop Request

Steve

How do you guys do the colour change ??

I tried different tool thingies in Paint Shop Pro but most (like "Colour

Replacer") only alter CERTAIN pixels, or, turn the colour "flat" (?).

Nearest i could come to properly altering was the 'Highlight" tool set to

"Colour to Target" and then MANUALLY 'painting' over the blue paintwork

(and i haven't got a steady hand ! !:( )

Is there an easier/better way (and can Paint Shop DO it or is it Adobe etc)

? ? ? ? ? ? ?

my effort.........

[ps. has the Upload File Size been lowered from ~400Kb to 200Kb ?!?!?]

Mirror Blue.jpg

looks better blue to me

WELL..... it would.....to YOU, wouldn't it :D

(WE like the SHINY black, but Carole don't like Matt colours...

...or is that MATT's colours ?!?!?!? Mattie Harwood ??? Banana-Man !!!)

(oh, SCRUB that, she just said she LIKES Matts Bananamobile :tongue: )

FatS.

Right then:

Idiots guide to making Black cars (You know the ones they're the fast ones :D)

First of all you need to select the coloured region - I find the best way is to paint into a quickmask. see the circled tool. when you have made your car look like Martin's (the first image) :p click the tool to the left of the circled one to revert to a selection. You will now have everything but the car selected at this point. Ctrl-Shift-I will invert the selection (or Select/Inverse for those mousy types)

You will then have the second image.

At this point I would save the selection to another channel in case you need to get it back. (Select/Save Selection - New channel)

Next you need to adjust the Hue/Saturation Ctrl-U or (Image/Adjustments/Hue/Saturation). Drop off the saturation to make a really washed out grey image and adjust the lightness to bring it back up to a rich Black. This is the third image. Note you can also change the colour at this point by playing with the hue and colorize checkbox.

At this stage you will notice that the windows don't look right. Ctrl-Shift-I again and you have everything but the car selected again. Select the lasso tool and whilst holding down Ctrl+Shift (your cursor will have a x below it) drag around the windows keeping inside the rear-pillar and roof line you should end up with pretty much the selection in image 4. You can tidy this up by adding to the selection (shift) or subtracting from the selection (ctrl) until you have just the windows selected. then adjust the hue/saturation of just the windows until it looks less blue.

By now you've pretty much finished, you can blend it into the background better by adjusting the levels of the car, but in this particular case I didn't need to.

Have fun

SteveW - you should be able to do a Hue/Saturation equivalent in PSP :D - Also my Matt one just needs waxing :p. for an Autoglym finish you can decrease the lightness further in stage 3, and play with levels at stage 5.

Mike

quickmask.jpg

selection.jpg

desaturate.jpg

window_desat.jpg

DSC04250_black_autoglym.jpg

Idiots guide to making Black cars (You know the ones they're the fast ones :D)

Nice work Mike. I always wondered how to change stuff to black. Altering the Hue/Sat is easy but I never figured out how get black - cheers Mike

:respekt: