The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Intercooler water spray

Ian C

Or more to the point, where do I get the power from?

Rather than randomly connecting wires up, I thought I would ask you folks the question.  I have a generic windscreen washer pump plumbed into the car now, and everything is installed bar the power to it.  Where is the best place to get the required 12v?  And where is the best place to earth it, or whatever?  

I'm utterly crap at electronics.  I can wield a multimeter, though.  I think it's 12v I need...

I intend on having a microswitch near the accelerator pedal so that 80%+ throttle will switch on the pump.  The pump is mounted on top of my FMIC.

-Ian

Is this a wind up ??..............

if ya can wield a m/m .......

Get wieldin......   ya won't find much more than 12v in there :wink:

but if its not......... earth should always be clean and to the chassis............... an ignition controlled 12v ??  so many choices ....... don't forget an inline fuse tho'

HTH

Probably behind the LH headlamp would be the best point. There's a plastic moulding around the loom at that point. Remove it and you'll find a number of live wires that come from suitably sized fuses. From memory there are some thick white wires you could consider for +12V (though I would think seriously about placing an in-line fuse to the supply to your pump). For the negative side, there is an earthing bolt behind the LH headlamp.

HTH,

J

No, it's not a wind-up, electronics scares me :) Although I do actually know a bit, I don't like to admit it...

I found an earth strap behind the drivers side headlight, so the earth is going there, but I have decided that the safest switching mechanism for the pump is a switch that I can work with my left foot.  So the 12v supply will come from somewhere under there...

I also found out that I need some way of stopping the flow until the pump comes on line, otherwise as soon as you squirt it, the rest siphons out, as the nozzles are lower than the reservoir!  Doh!  So, a fuel cutoff solenoid, methinks, wired in parallel with the motor.

What amp fuse should I use?  And would it be best to site it just before the switch?

-Ian