The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Does removing the rear spoiler make a big difference?

Bill Prawn

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can't remember the exact figures, but at 70mph I think it creates something like 66lbs of downforce. Ok so that's not that much, but think where it is located, at the rear, right over the rear wheels. Also this force will go up proportional to the square (IIRC) of the speed (or is it cubed?). Anyway, the point being that for very high speed driving (100 - 120+mph) this is going to be producing considerable downforce which adds grip but also slows you down. So you are trading top speed for grip and handling/stability. This is especially important on a powerful rear wheel drive car, where the rear tyres struggle for grip anyway.

Having said that, the rear spoiler is not the only source of downforce, so it's only part of the picture. I'd guess I'd feel nervous with very high speed cornering without a spoiler, but I guess you get used to the limits of the car, whatever they are.

In any event, I think the rear of the car looks strange without a spoiler, too rear heavy and unbalanced - but that’s just a personal preferences thing though of course. If I were doing a top speed run (straight line of course) I'd remove it temporarily.

I doubt you will notice any difference below about 130, I can't. If I bought another MKIV the first thing I'd do is take the damned thing off, and sell / bin it. Looks dated and very boy racerish, IMO, and is far from being a good design from the reduction of lift point of view, it's just a styling gimmick. Purely a personal thing though.

Now there's an idea ;)

Taking it off makes the supra look like an overgrown Celica, which fits with my 'stealth' look philosophy.

It may also make me think twice before pushing the loud pedal at silly speeds and get myself into trouble again.

Is it easy to take it off then?

It might be interesting to do acceleration tests with/without.

I bet decent traction control will make far more difference than the wing.

Very easy to take off, two bolts accessible from the plastic lining underneath.

Its then held on by some glue and a plastic clip, just "wiggle" back and forth (the spoiler!) until it comes loose.

I've only covered mine with grommets for the time being to see how it would look.

The bonnet needs to be swapped back to a j spec, complete the smoother look.

check out the calder racing supra CRD, over 1000hp and goes over 200mph, no spoiler there.

the JUN 250mph supra had a small tail spoiler, it doesnt make much difference

at 250mph even a small spoiler would make quite a large difference. no doubt they used it to aid high speed stability, not to improve cornering ability though! Of course if you are aiming for top speed you want to minimise the spoiler size without potentially making the car unstable. Conversly if you want maximal high speed handling you want to trade off some of that top speed for downforce (= grip) - it's a balance to be made.

On the road I'd say grip is more important than top speed (how often do you max out you cars top speed anyway?). To say you generally don't notice the difference (between having a spoiler and not) is one thing, that doesn't mean the difference isn't there - you just need to reach the absolute limit under repeatable conditions to quantify it.

A supe without a spoiler is like, erm?

a roast dinner without the gravy?

an icecream without a flake?

etc you get the picture lol ;)

At the supra's natural top speed (180 according to Toyota), the rear spoiler creates 250-odd lbs of downforce, that's not chickenfeed.

The question: Is it worth making it work for it's money and risk eating porridge and playing indoor games with the other inmates? This politically-correct country will make minced meat of anyone caught at such speeds.

yeah. well, where the bumper used to sit anyway...just so i can see what kinda mess will be left if i remove it and how much i'm looking at to get it smoothed off etc.

Yeah no probs, home late tonight so prob tomorrow.

From memory it leaves 3 small holes either side, no other mess. No damage to paint etc.

Think 2 holes are round and one square?