The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Oil leak on TT MKiv

Brian Jackett

I attended a track day and was advised to overfill the oil to allow the oil pump to not run dry when hard cornering.

I did this and half way through the day and engine Oil started to leak between the auto box and engine. I assume it came out of the back of the engine.

This did this for a while after the track day but slowly stopped leaking and now if I thrash it down a motor way and do some hard driving it does not leak the oil level is now 1 mm above full before it was 7mm above.

Has anyone experienced this or have any advise.

regards

Brian

Whoever advised you to do that was a tad mistaken. Remember that the MKIV is not some souped up Cortina. It was designed as a high performance car from the outset. The sump design already includes an internal splash-guard that prevents the oil suddenly sloshing away from the pick-up.

Yours,

J

Guest Martin F

And just to add to this thread of MKIV trivia.............

The petrol tank also includes an internal baffle (careful!!) to stop fuel starvation when cornering hard.

Next question.......

What is the internal diameter of the radiator hoses ??

The MKIV oil pan is designed so that at the FULL mark the oil-pan is virtually full to the brim. For this reason, the oil cannot possibly slosh around in the pan. Just above the level of oil, plate that covers a large proportion of the surface area of oil. This plate further resists oil movement.

However, it *is* very good advice to check your oil-level prior to a track session and to make absolutely sure it is at the FULL marker. If anything I, personally, would top it up so the oil-level is a fraction over rather than under. I think that is the gist of what Chris is saying. What I suspect is maybe Brian overdid it a tad. And if the car was not on perfectly level ground, when he was checking the level, that may have thrown things out too.

Yours,

J

that might explain why mine blew the front crank oil seal then. I have a different dipstick in mine and it seems to take and extra 0.5l to fill to the max point on the dip stick and I had the oil changed a week before I went on the Bentwaters track day.

I will remember to check and double check the levels next time.

JB