The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Superchips

RobSheffield

noticed a lot of mention of these recently.

I remember reading somewhere an article written by an early Superchips employee. He stated that the chips were nothing more than a chappy in a darkened room with a random code generator.

a certain number of times out of 10 they improved thigs, and the other amount of times they blew the engine due to lack of fuelling on turbos.

Vauxhall (calibra?) turbos particlarly iirc.

i dont remember the details so feel free to correct me :)

There was a 'special' in M&M a couple of years ago, with the two 'directors' of superchips explaining how their innovations are taking OEM designers by surprise.

They were lamentable, I felt sorry for them.

They also had a bench with a guy (trainee of some sort) playing with an oscilloscope, that was the 'R&D' shot.

Very sad.

Someone (Bedlam?) has a Soarer which was fitted with a Superchip by a previous owner. IIRC it turned out to be nothing more than an expensive Fuel Cut Defender.

Yep a super chip for the JZA80 is no more than a FCD and bleed valve.

I can think of better ways of spending £550

• 5 months later...

About 7 years ago, I had a superchip + bleed valve fitted to my first MR2 turbo. Parted with £400 quid and at the time thought, hey, not bad for 35hp or whatever it gained me, until I realised a few months later it does exactly the same job as a 90 quid fuel cut defencer, lol

Wouldnt touch superchips with a bargepole.

• 1 month later...