The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Odd Idle? and other Questions!

Tricky-Ricky

Yes i have searched, but have not turned up anything resembling this!

cold start it has a couple of pulses and settles at 800RPM when it should be 1500 ish!? hot idle 1100-1200 RPM? in fact almost the opposite of what it should be? any ideas? has anyone got manual pages referring to idle set up- adjustment procedure? or is it likely to be ECU engine temp sensor or a lambda problem? although i know what I'm doing, I'm new to the Supras engine control and feedback quirks,

Also has anyone any tips for getting rid of the gearstick/reverse lock rattle?

you should be ideling at 800rpm ish surly (on stock cams) or do you have non stock cams, 1500rpm idle would be more like a car with 264 cams around may even 272's am i wrong?? but can be a number of things, do you have a lightweight flywheel, lightweight flywheels can cause a lumpy idle and low speed surge

you should be ideling at 800rpm ish surly (on stock cams) or do you have non stock cams, 1500rpm idle would be more like a car with 264 cams around may even 272's am i wrong?? but can be a number of things, do you have a lightweight flywheel, lightweight flywheels can cause a lumpy idle and low speed surge

i have a rock steady idle at 680 (no electrical load or ac) with medium cams and light flywheel. a 1500 rpm idle is not pleasant, especially with loud exhausts :)

Well i have taken it down to 800RPM by adjusting the stop screw, will see what its like tomorrow when its stone cold! it actually looked like it had been adjusted before? but as it was previously to slow when cold, and afaics its controlled by the ECU, i will have to wait until i get a manual to get to the bottom of it!

Well i have now found that the idle is the same as i set it when hot! now that i have started it from stone cold!:( i would have thought it might be down to a faulty ECU water temp sensor (anyone have a pic of its location) so i'll test it later, but on other other cars if the sensor is faulty, it causes it to run rich when hot? but am i right in thinking that the Supra runs an air temp sensor? so this might compensate when hot? anyone have any other ideas?

Well i have now found that the idle is the same as i set it when hot! now that i have started it from stone cold!:( i would have thought it might be down to a faulty ECU water temp sensor (anyone have a pic of its location) so i'll test it later, but on other other cars if the sensor is faulty, it causes it to run rich when hot? but am i right in thinking that the Supra runs an air temp sensor? so this might compensate when hot? anyone have any other ideas?

temp sensor location

HERE

Intake air controller picture HERE

There is also a manual in the downloads section that describes how to test the IAC.

The search button is very much your friend :D

Bugger! it looks like the IAC stepper if fooked!:( took it off earlier and cleaned and tested it, found the relevant pages from the manual, and tested it by supplying 12V and grounding the pins in sequence, and found that there is no real movement!!:( unless its supposed to move in thousandths of an inch! which i doubt, so has anyone got a spare they can sell/loan me?