The mkiv Supra Owners Club

ECU Swaps & Programming

Guest Ash

One of my current projects is to hack into the gearbox ECU in order to control gear changes manually from switches on the steering wheel. Plus, in the course of doing this, I'll have hacked the connection beween the engine ECU and the gearbox ECU.

This will enable me to fit a replacement engine ECU to my auto.

I originally thought of designing a piggy-back system and so on, but I found the whole thing just gets too complex. Far more complex than hacking into the stock stuff and simply replacing the engine ECU driving a single set of bigger injectors. I found there just isn't the space to properly mount more injectors, for a start. Which meant going the piggy-back route would mean a complete re-design of the whole intake manifold. :(  

Once I've hacked the ECU's the next question will be to replace the engine ECU... but with what?

Has anyone replaced their engine ECU? And if so what did you replace it with? Plus any thoughts, opinions, experiences will be gratefully received.

Yours,

J  

(Edited by Ash at 11:59 am on June 15, 2001)

I think there was a guy on the big list that has a Blitz remapped ECU, and somebody told me they had a SARD remapped ECU, but I dont think anybody has actually used a MOTEC or similar in the UK yet.

I think the guys in NZ have used MOTECs and a few others. I will see if I can get them to come onto this BBS and give their views.

Racelogic also had a hack at making the auto into a button push gearchange but found they couldnt do it, cant remember the exact reasons why.

JB

How about just buying the tiptronic gearbox and steering wheel? It might seem like a cop out, but I believe that it also has more gears in it? Don't quote me on that. Thus you'll achive better acceleration and in gear time due the fact that the gearing is closer etc etc...

As per usual I'll defer quite happily to a higher knowledge on this!....

the tiptronic is an auto box with buttons, 4 speed auto if memory serves me right. I did a review of one on the www.mkivsupra.net web site.

The other problem is the tiptronic is very rare so getting the gearbox and electronics could be almost impossible. If JA can get a semi-auto working on the normal auto boxes he will be inundated with people wanting it.

JB

Alex, that's a *good* idea and I've looked into it. Problem is, the boxes are RARE. When I say rare, I mean even rarer than rocking horse poo. Not only that, they cost about £7,000 new. The ECU is about £1,500 and the steering wheel is about £500.

JB... I wonder what problems Racelogic came across. Because, technically, it's the electronics that shift the box when in drive. My idea is to have the Level 10 conversion together with a steering wheel mounted paddle shift. What you would have is a simple flick switch that, when in position "D", would convert the box from auto shift to paddle shift.  

Problem is I need Justin's car back on the road to do more research. But is there any way you could make some enquiries with Racelogic?

Yours,

J  

I cant remember exactly what problems they hit, I think it was to do with the control the ECU has over the gearbox by retarding the timing on gear changes. I will investigate further and let you know.

We tried getting info from Level10 last year and to say they were vague is an understatement. If you can get it working then I know a number of members who would be interested.

JB

Quote: from branners on 3:36 pm on June 15, 2001[br]We tried getting info from Level10 last year and to say they were vague is an understatement. If you can get it working then I know a number of members who would be interested.

If your having problems with Level 10 then try Sound Performance http://www.sound-performance.com although there seems to be something wrong with their website at the moment.

• 5 years later...