The mkiv Supra Owners Club

£6.99 Well Spent in Ebay Vehicle Status Check!

Soop Dogg

Almost bought this for Angie just now as she is looking for a TT Manual.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4615022556&fromMakeTrack=true

There is NO info on the advert saying ANYTHING about any bad history/damage etc. So I thought I'd pay £6.99 for the ebay vehicle status report.

Read it and weep! Wondered why it was sooooo cheap for a UK manual. Might make a good track day car, but would need to be cheaper than that.

Vehicle Status Report

Vehicle Status

Powered by HPI®

Section Help

Thank you for your payment; you have been charged £6.99 for this report. Here is your vehicle status report corresponding to the registration details supplied by the eBay seller. Please contact the seller if it highlights any discrepancies.

We will also be sending you this report in an email.

Your reference is ******** Date and time of your report 26/02/2006 11:52

Further information and advice for this page

Vehicle description

Make: TOYOTA Year of Manufacture: 1993

Model: SUPRA First registered: 10/11/1993

Colour: BLUE Previous keepers: 8(!)

Engine (CC): 2997 Date keeper changed: 02/11/2004

Door plan: Coupe Fuel type: Petrol

Engine number: 2JZ0236290 (:Pling: wtf?)

Vehicle status

Problems checked Results found

Police stolen Not recorded as stolen, by the police

Outstanding finance Not recorded as having outstanding finance

Insurance write-off :Pling: Recorded as an insurance write-off

Recorded by insurers as the subject of a total

loss claim due to damage.

Contact the seller for more details

Insurance theft Not recorded by insurers as a theft

Security Not recorded on our security register

Plate transfer history No plate transfer recorded

Mileage Check :Pling: Data currently held on NMR indicates there may

be a mileage discrepancy

Note: However this does not take into account

any mileage supplied to eBay by the seller.

Valuation :Pling: £2,925 Average mileage

assumed

This guide valuation is for a vehicle of this make and model with average mileage and condition for its age bought from a dealer.

Just thought everyone on here should know about this just in case you were thinking of buying it too. If you are the person who has already bid on this car, then I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Even if it belongs to someone on this site, I think something as important as this should be noted in the description.

BUYER BEWARE.

Its very bad the seller hasnt disclosed this information but why do you think it would only be good for track days?

Ermm...because it wouldn't bother me too much to write it off again??

But as I say it would have to be alot cheaper that nearly 7k!

I wouldn't ever want to trust a write-off with mine or my wifes' life. You never know where it's weak until it takes a good hit. Then you might find it falls apart. Don't want to put that to the test on the public road!

Did you notice in the last pic how worn the steering wheel was. There is no way this car has 55k on the clock. I've just sold my uk spec with 110k on the clock and the steering was in much better condition.

I would guess this car has done in excess of 150k. :rolleyes:

Should send the seller an email asking why he hasnt put that it was a insurance write off.

Very bad ebay seller there

How many cars in the 'trader do you think have "history"? This is why you should HPI check a second hand car (from the guy who didn't :looney:). I don't condone not disclosing information, but as always it's buyer beware.

Mike

this was his reply:

"Hi, for you to reply you obviously were able to make the necssary checks the VRM was provided to enable people to do this, the car was not a write off due to accident damage, it was a stolen recovery in 1996, meaning an insurance total loss payout, when the car was listed last week we were blissfully unaware of any insurance payout as the checks made when we bought the car 16 months came back all clear, as this also depends on the search company you use, any questions asked have been answered as truthfully and quickly as possible, even ones that don't even warrant answering, many thanks."

this was his reply:

"Hi, for you to reply you obviously were able to make the necssary checks the VRM was provided to enable people to do this, the car was not a write off due to accident damage, it was a stolen recovery in 1996, meaning an insurance total loss payout, when the car was listed last week we were blissfully unaware of any insurance payout as the checks made when we bought the car 16 months came back all clear, as this also depends on the search company you use, any questions asked have been answered as truthfully and quickly as possible, even ones that don't even warrant answering, many thanks."

Police stolen Not recorded as stolen, by the police

why would this be the case then ??

hi love all the bad press insurance write offs get. sure there are some bad cars out there but some good ones to. both my cars were/are total loss repairs. as long as the repair is good then its win win win.my audi tdi was light front and benifitted from new rads/intercooler bonnet full respray and was bought for the price of a bag of nuts. my supra recently purchaced was also a total loss. i knew this, the owner gave me a full detailed repair file of bills including cd rom with photographed stages of damage and repairs which was panal only no front impact or suspension damage.the car drives perfectly looks brand new colour coded with one of the best standard spray jobs ive seen factory or after.also fitted with £2500 wheels splitrims brand new. car uk 48750 miles full toyota history mint leather all mots.bought last year for £8700 when low mile uks were fetching £13k+.i intend to keep for 5 years as i try to with cars i like so selling for good price will not be to much of an issue.at least i know to what extent my car has been damaged and repaired.dozons of supras have had unrecorded repairs to the same extent as mine yet still demand high prices because they dont carry the stigma.

im well happy but prehaps im biased

hi love all the bad press insurance write offs get. sure there are some bad cars out there but some good ones to. both my cars were/are total loss repairs. as long as the repair is good then its win win win.my audi tdi was light front and benifitted from new rads/intercooler bonnet full respray and was bought for the price of a bag of nuts. my supra recently purchaced was also a total loss. i knew this, the owner gave me a full detailed repair file of bills including cd rom with photographed stages of damage and repairs which was panal only no front impact or suspension damage.the car drives perfectly looks brand new colour coded with one of the best standard spray jobs ive seen factory or after.also fitted with £2500 wheels splitrims brand new. car uk 48750 miles full toyota history mint leather all mots.bought last year for £8700 when low mile uks were fetching £13k+.i intend to keep for 5 years as i try to with cars i like so selling for good price will not be to much of an issue.at least i know to what extent my car has been damaged and repaired.dozons of supras have had unrecorded repairs to the same extent as mine yet still demand high prices because they dont carry the stigma.

im well happy but prehaps im biased

I have no issues with Write offs per se, but your case highlights precisely the issue we are getting at here. You knew the car was a write off, you could see the extent of the damage, and how it had been repaired. In effect service history.

The car for sale here, doesn't even acknowledge the write off in the ad. The HPI report identifies a total loss write off. when quizzed the owner is saying it was stolen recovered. yet the Police haven't got it registered as stolen.

Someone has pointed out the the physical condition of the steering wheel doesn't tally with the advertised mileage...

all this considered - would you buy THIS write off?

Mike