The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Declare mods?

Gazboy

Do you/did you declare mods to ins co's?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Do you/did you declare mods to ins co's?

• No
    • Yes

Anyone who doesn't declare obvoious mods is a fool. Remaps isn't really an issue for anyone here since the Supra ECU cannot be remapped.

FCD's, piggyback ECU's and the like should always be declared, lets face it, they're not exactly difficult to spot. In the end none of these made any difference to my insurance quote.

Guest Mad Russ

I will always declare mods. But as for engine mods I will alway try and get away from listing everything and quote a power figure or increase as nothing can be missed and it kind of allows additional minor mods that doesn't affect it too much

How pissed would you be if they didn't pay out after a write off over something like a after market Bov or an EManage?? Better to be safe than sorry imo

It can be a lot worse James- imagine what the third party losses could be- there is a Zonda garage not far from you, and a Lamborghini garage near me (had a Konigsegg in there a while back).

Last year in Barcelona there was a Porsche track day, guy A asks guy B if he can have a ride along. GuyB stacks it, leaving A unable to use his legs. Missus A then sues guyB for loss of earnings- guyA was on a million pounds a year..... guyB is financialy ruined (I heard this though word of mouth at my last Vmax day).

Anything that they can blatantly seen has to be declared - otherwise assume that they will NOT pay out in case of an accident (meaning that you could lose anything you own paying damages)

Bodykits, fancy alloys, kickass filters, loud BOVs and shiny FMICs are too hard to miss. (come to think of it, that is the very reason people buy them in the first place!)

Keep it standard-looking though, and they won't bother looking further for mods.

Neither will cops be interested in your person.

I had a cliam a few years ago in my old car, declared only wheels and exhaust. Inspector came to check the damage and didn't say anything about the tints, lowering, strut brace, air filter, cams?? It was only a small claim though i'm sure they would of looked if I had written off a ferrari.