The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Gas Struts for Stout Bonnet?

Gaz6002

Guest Flat4_ire
Anyone know where I can get some gas struts for my FRP Stout bonnet?

It sags to one side when I use the toyota strut and I fancy something a bit different.

cheers

Gaz

my stout does the very same, not sure where u get the gas jobbies tho

Think I will look into this as I could fancy some for mine. It does get a bit lairy with the OEM Support at outdoor shows when the wind gets up.:scare:

Kevin

keep us updated mate, seems like there would be a lot of interest. Maybe if some could be made to fit OEM and aftermarket bonnets it would be a nice little earner!

Nice 1 :D

i looked at this not long back. a guy on ebay sells vauxhall ones for about 20 quid. a mate of mine got some for his astra gsi t. i spoke to the guy and he said if i told him the size i needed he'd see what his supplier can get hold of. the problem i found however, was the lack of places it could be fixed to without (a) making new holes (b) the struts being at the wrong angle to lift the bonnet, or © the struts being about 3th long when fully extended. i gave up after that.

i was looking for fixings to the stock UK bonnet by the way. ill try and dig out the emails he sent me.

• 1 month later...

I'm currently working on a mod to change the usual bonnet strut thingy. I have got hold of two gas struts and i'm going to work out where the brackets need to go for them. Once i have done this i will post a reply showing the how to make the brackets and where to get the struts from. Or if so inclined, For a nominla price (of which is yet to be decided dependant on how long it takes me to mkae the brackets) i will supply a kit. If you are like me, and im sure that you are, I'm going to try and design the kit so that nothing need to be done except bolt it on, A. for ease B. so that the integrity of the vehicles structure is not affected.