• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Manual vs auto?

Depends how quick you can change gear in a tractor!!! :D

I think everyone will just say to drive both; the auto is a brilliant box and will usually give faster straight line times - the manual will obviously be quicker for track use in the majority of people (and I prefer it cos it's more involving).

If you've got a spare few min then have a look at this thread for speeds etc. of different units.

i prefer auto, as for town driving nothing beats it. soon as you hit the open road, the auto box is so nice and responsive, still can go head to head with pretty much anything. imho both are as good as each other.

true, that if you want involvement manual is more fun and if going into a race/track environment, but the auto box would be my choice for the best of both worlds, town and open road. You also dont lose any of the oomph at high speed with the auto box, it still pulls wonderfully fast :D

drive an auto box car from most other manufacturers, then drive the Supra auto and its just perfectly set up.

more importantly don't floor it from junctions etc, as it can be a real experience with all the power.

so i will sit here and eat :Popcorn: and watch for the fun to start :D

the three most 'fun' questions:

a) auto v manual

b) j-spec v uk-spec

c) colour

for me it was easy, auto, j-spec, and silver (as its the fastest colour and wont fade, :lol: )

going to :hide: now and not be controversial

finally, will say that whatever you end up with, its still the nicest car around, even after all these years.

edited: i miss my Supra, as it is away atm having work done, think i should go and give it a hug, lol

The manual is an amazing box, don't be put off by "agricultural" comments, TBH it's strong, tough and feels like a real gearbox, it isn't some sissy box from a fiat panda - and it can take mental BHP.

the manual is very rewarding to drive, but you need to put the effort in to be any good with it... the auto makes a lot of sense around town and for simple drag starts...

Definitely drive both, depends what you want out of a car - good manuals are generally much harder to find (well thats what I found anyway when looking) - it's worth the wait/search if it's what you want though!

this is a hot topic though on here lol, it's been argued to death and there are fans of both gearbox types - so they are both very good.

The only thing that puts me off is the supposed loss of 20-25%? in power through the drivetrain from an auto.

The auto will always have more losses than the manual.

But losses would be closer to (say) 8% for a manual and 11% for an auto

The above are totally fictitious numbers, for the pub feel free to use 20+% and 30+% respectively :D

Manual = You think your a God.

Auto = You admit a computer is more accurate and better suited to the task.

If I want to have fun, its a manual, if I want the best times, an auto.

you will be wanting computer asisted or controlled steering next ;)

driving is a human thing, computers don't need to get from A to B :p

although I bet those skilled rally drivers (the most skilled of all IMHO) really wished they had an auto 4 speed box to better their track times with.

There is more to life than a drag time!

Tiptronic, what a laugh...

It's for those with arms so short that they can't reach to the lever or find it too complicated to engage in 'manu' mode. (haircut anyone?:blonde: )

That's all it does.

As for the references to the UKSpec....just ask yourselves: Why does swapping parts to UKSpec is an 'upgrade' for you?

Those who can't reach the Holy Grail call it a plastic cup.

Envy is understandable.

So be it. :D