The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Just binned my HKS mushroom filter

Animal

Got round to fitting a stock airbox on my N/A at tea time - cheers jim_supra.

What a difference! Instantly noticeable increase in acceleration, and it now feels to be pulling stronger throughout the gears. Been tooling around the twisty lanes back from a mates house and I'm stunned. It seems to be shifting gears a lot more, keeping the power up and it really gives a kick now when it hits 5k RPM. It's like a new car - I know why everyone says to bin the 'performance' filters now, it's so much better as stock.

Looks like it'll be the long way back to Preston for me Friday night :D

As far as noise levels go, the drop is barely noticeable inside the car, and to be honest, doesn't sound that different from outside. I suppose induction roar has decreased, but that's a small price to pay for the benefits. Get it done.

Think I will, got it de-catted so should still be noisy as hell :D

Already got someone who's offered me one so reckon I'll take him up on it asap.

The 'shroom filter was pretty manky, but it's not a new filter in the airbox either (can't get one 'til next week), just the one that was in it when Jim sent it to me. It did get dusted off & airbox hoovered to be as free from bits as possible. Should have waited, I know, but I'm an impatient bugger.

Whilst we're on the subject, what filter would people recommend to put in? Is there any benefit to using a TRD one (or other) over a stock filter?

Stock paper element mate.

Power-wise none of the other ones will make any difference. In fact, running the airbox with no filter at ALL will barely register a gain on a RR.

And you can't get more free flow than no filter at all, can you? ;)

It's the airbox that creates a minor restriction, but in the summer you'll be grateful you've got it!

It made a difference on my N/A, that's for sure. It scared the living shit out of me when I first set off - way better response than before. Noise-wise, I'd say it sounds a lot healthier, kind of less like a box of bolts, less shitty noise more powerful sounding noises.

Cheers John, I'll get a stock filter ordered and save a few quid.