The mkiv Supra Owners Club

body filler expert?

Taylor

After owning my supra for a few weeks now, the one thing that is bugging me is the little bang it has had on the nearside rear where the light meets the rear quarter panel, there is a slight gap, we are talking about 1cm gap and it goes down for about 4cm, how would you guys go about repairing this? i was thinking sanding down tho the metal and using filler to fill the gap, before respraying.

does anybody have anybetter ideas, or have any advice as the best way to go about using the filler method?

thanks

taylor

Looks a very difficult place to knock out the dent as its on one of the stronger areas and on an angle! you could try and get at the back of it and knock out what you can, but in the end you will need to use filler, although filler will stick to roughened paint i would take some of it down to bare metal, then its just a case of build it up and sculpt it back to the right shape, prime and paint, but the hard part is blending it to match the original paint!

Guest Mad Russ

It looks to me like the bumper is out of shape where I have marked in green not allowing the bumper to sit straight.

I can't see any damage on the qtr panel but if anything it would probally be bent along the blue line. This would be easy to tell as the bumper would sit proud from the wing at the top.

I would try and get the bumper mounted properly as that is where I think the fault is IMHO. It would be alot less cost than getting the rear qtr modified to fit and sprayedl

damage.jpg

From the looks of the light and boot alignment the rear quarter doesn’t seem like its been damaged. I would guess is been reversed into a stationary object at an angle and bent the mounting bracket. Get the rear bumper off and re-align the brackets until it fits (the bumper will not spring back in to shape so will need a bit of persuasion. It will take a few goes to get right but I can't see how you'd need to fill/paint that to make it fit...

Mate get a body shop to align it, Saves you all the hassle, Itll cost peanuts.

At least if they do it you wont run the risk of damaging something because you dont know what you are doing..

If you are gonna try it though, get an exploded pic of the rear end from the Toyota EPC.. Someone on here should be able to sort the pic for U.. (Ive just had to delete my EPC due to a bloody untimely computer format :( )

Then you can see all the fixings and their locations, and decide if you wanna take it on..

Thats My 2ps worth :)

• 1 month later...

UPDATE. taken the car to a bodyshop that i know i can trust and does god work, as he has done stuff for me b4.

It seems the rear quarter needs pulling out and smoothing, as well as the bumper needs realigning and plastic welding , and then obvoisly needs repainting (bumper and rear quarter) he will need to have it for bout 3 days. cost £250

what you guys think. i expected 200 but he is good so i will pay what he wants. plus he will lend me a car (kia pride!!!!) and he is very local

• 2 weeks later...