The mkiv Supra Owners Club

toyota key??

Al_Lilley

If it helps I just went to the Timpsons and got one for £5 , just a standard key with a black plastic top. If they dont have the right dummy in to cut then they will order one in; this only takes 3 days.

I went to Timpson, and they refused to cut me a key, saying that there was an immobiliser circuit in the key. I explained that the factory alarm had been replaced, and that the immobiliser wouldn't be needed, the daft woman behind the counter argued for 10 minutes with me, and even when I said I didn't care if the key didn't work she still refused to cut me one... :angry:

its 2000 (W) reg, UK spec, 6 speed, VVti, N/A

I'd love to see any insurance company quote you on that one, they'll be :confused:. Would that not also mean that VVTI's would be importable as well. If Toyota UK actually officially brought one in, there should be a model report shouldn't there?

Mike

I'd love to see any insurance company quote you on that one, they'll be :confused:. Would that not also mean that VVTI's would be importable as well. If Toyota UK actually officially brought one in, there should be a model report shouldn't there?

I got insured wit Elephant and they said it was an F1 model. But speakin to a few of ya im gettin loads o different ideas so im well confused!!

Thay couldnt insure me normally cos the latest date they have for the supra is 1996 not 2000. it only cost 1200 quid though. not bad for 22 year old with 2 yrs no claims and 5 points.

Ill get it checked by toyota cos i no someone that works there and she is also really interested in it. Hopefully ill have some answers soon and i can let everyone know exactly what the hell im drivin.

I bet any money someone made a screw up somewhere and its probably just a normal N/A!! (hope not though)

I'd leave Elephant as soon as possible, get the car insured with someone who knows what they are talking about. FI isn't a model of MKIV Supra, initially they were using that reference to talk about MKIII supras, so be really careful about what you've actually got insured. The amount of people who have been stung on renewal by this is high.

Easy way to check whether its a VVTI NA or not, chuck up a picture of your engine bay :)

I bet any money someone made a screw up somewhere and its probably just a normal N/A!! (hope not though)

Even a standard N/A wasn't a UK model though, sounds to me like a big cock up has occured somewhere.

Is it possible to find out from the VIN number where the destination market was, i.e. JDM or UK. and if UK shouldn't it allow you to trace the original dealer.

However I suspect that it was probably imported in 2000 and the DVLA messed up somehow, this does however raise the thorney issue of the low mileage. Either way my best advice would be to check the insurance is actually valid. you can bet your last penny that if (heaven forbid) you need to claim they'll be paying out nada.

Mike