The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bodykits and clearance - idea

michael

Is this an idea you'd find useful?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Is this an idea you'd find useful?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't care
    • Enemy boat spotted

Something I've been thinking about today - I really want to go for a Ridox bumper and skirts but I'm worried about the clearance on it.

It's all good and well asking someone on here to measure the distance from the ground to the bottom of the bumper but with variables like suspension, wheels, tyres etc it's hard to be sure how it will sit on your own car.

So I was thinking it might be useful for us to have a list of bumpers and the dimensions of them so that we can compare them to whatever we have on.

So if I'm going standard > Ridox and the new bumper is 'x' bigger from the top to the bottom I can compare this to my own and work out how it will sit.

Perhaps we could measure from a few known points that will be constant on all cars, the lights, the bottom edge of the bonnet, the wheel arch... something else?

It would be great to get a side and front profile shot of each bumper with the measurements on so that curious folks like me can compare them and see if I'll rip it off on the drive when I get home from the bodyshop or just about scrape on.

What do you reckon? It's going to mean 10 minutes with a tape measure for those with kits but could be useful for lots of people in the future?

We could use the same system for lips, skirts etc too? All that needs to be decided on is a selection of measuring points really, then it just needs people to add the data.

Thoughts?

It is not just the ground clearance you need to worry about, but also the extension of the bumper at the front.

The lower lip on my Top Secret type III bumper sticks out quite a way, I don't have a problem usually with speed bumps, as my suspension is lowered for handling and not looks. I need to be very careful though if going up and down steep slopes eg. multistorey car parks, driveways, etc. as the extension of the lip means that it can catch.

I think this sort of tech resource, even though it's bodykit stuff, is a brilliant idea :thumbs: It's the kind of info you won't get anywhere else. Just gotta decide on two or three standard points of measurement and start making a list.

-Ian

coughRIDOXcough

It is not just the ground clearance you need to worry about, but also the extension of the bumper at the front.

The lower lip on my Top Secret type III bumper sticks out quite a way, I don't have a problem usually with speed bumps, as my suspension is lowered for handling and not looks. I need to be very careful though if going up and down steep slopes eg. multistorey car parks, driveways, etc. as the extension of the lip means that it can catch.

Hit the nail right on the head with that one Nic. I have exactly the same problem with my Blitz front. So much of a problem Im thinking of getting a standard front with a bolt on and off carbon lip.

The idea is that it's based on the bumper (or skirt) dimensions only without worrying about the suspension setups - that way people can measure the clearance they currently have and then work it out based on the size of the bumper they have in mind.

It may be useful to also gather some suspension information for use in conjunction with this but I think the best way ahead is to concentrate on the bumper and let people suss it out with their suspension setups. Then if someone has tired standard stuff or £3000 mentalist stuff they can still work things out on the data presented.

Good idea Michael and something that should have been done ages ago.

I'm sold on that Ridox kit too. Like, from the first second I saw it. However, given the roads around here I reckon that kit and most other kits are going to be impractical whatever their dimensions. Even getting off my drive would be difficult.

Bottom of lip to road measurement would be a good start

It would be pointless because we all have different wheels, tyres, suspension, tyre pressures etc - the idea of this project is to work around that problem and measure the bumpers in relation to fixed points on the car. Then people can use the figures provided to work out their own lip to road measurements etc

Would any of this actually work given the slopes, ramps, humps etc are not being measured?

Does anyone know the angle of the slope at the Light car park in Leeds. How quickly does it reach that angle etc.

It's all very well knowing what clearance there is on your car but you can't possibly know if it'll clear something without trying it.

Just a thought.

Well I know that at present I can get in and out of the Light and I can get on to my driveway - but I also know that I don't have much in the way of clearance with my front splitter in the down position.

Therefore if a bumper reduces this by much more than 10mm I can't have it - that's the way I want to use this scheme.

It's far easier to measure bumpers than it is to map out the roads of the UK :)

Off topic slightly, but if you are ever out my way can you come round to mine and drive on and off my driveway. Most mornings and evenings I have to tackle it straight on and I don't think a lowered car would manage it. Might get the exhaust caught and front bumber!

It's fine (ish) at an angle but I can't always get on/off that way. I'd like to see before I spend money and find myself stuck.

Only if you are round that area though. No hurry.