The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Welcome to my nightmare… anyone need a drive shaft?

Rob Davey

This is the sad costly tale of one young lad and his Supra. :violin:

About a month or two ago my beloved Sup started to make the strangest of noises from the passenger side rear of the car. The noise was a strange couple of ‘pings’ when coming on or going off power whilst moving in slow traffic.

A trip to a Toyota dealer and a Saturday morning later the fault was diagnosed as a possible split in the drive shaft casing. So for the princely sum of £540 Mr T ordered me a new shaft that was then fitted at the Dealer the following Saturday morning.

Alas this did not cure the problem :banghead:, so for another princely sum Mr T ordered and fitted a new wheel bearing, as the split must have been in casing of the wheel bearing to make such a noise. So 5 technicians :jester:, 3 Saturday mornings (did I mention I work nights on a Friday) :lazy:, and £900 lighter, the noise was still loud and clear.

Believe it or not at this point I became very happy as just before they set about dismantling the dif (££££) someone thankfully suggested swapping the wheels left to right to see if this made a difference.

And yes the ‘ping’ changed sides. Next up they put on a different wheel, then, drum roll please…. no more ‘ping’. To make it worse the wheels are only 3 months old to date so well within the warranty period. Gareth at Envy is currently finding out if he can source a replacement for me.

So to end, I hate Toyota :stickpoke , I may have a new best friend in Gareth at Envy :friends:, and I have a used passenger side drive shaft for sale from a N/A Jspec Auto - Part no T42340-14140 and these cost £500+ form Mr T, trust me I know!!!

I think I'd be speaking to Toyota GB about this - £900 to replace perfectly good parts just because they can't diagnose a problem properly isn't really on.

Oh and welcome to the forum :)

:yeahthat: id say you should deffinately be able to claim your money and get your old bits fitted free of charge. Its their inability to diagnose the problem therefore why should you have to pay for parts. Dont let this rest.

:yeahthat: id say you should deffinately be able to claim your money and get your old bits fitted free of charge. Its their inability to diagnose the problem therefore why should you have to pay for parts. Dont let this rest.

Yes this is true, ask for your money back for the good parts.

Well normally I would agree, but the bits were fitted in one of the mechanics spare time. I paid for the parts and gave the mechanic cash to fit them to save money. So although it was done in the dealership with all the ‘expertise’ of the garage it was sort of through the back door. I’m not sure I have a leg to stand on. It seemed like a good idea at the time…

Well hopefully Gareth at Envy can sort it out, but it does bring another problem. I need another wheel so that I can remove and send off the faulty one, as the Sup is my main transport to work down the motorway.

So if any kind-hearted sole in the Maidenhead or Uxbridge area has a spare 18" wheel to fit a Sup with a legal tyre I could lend I would be very grateful (or any suggested solution). I’m worried the space saver would not be a good idea as the rolling radius is smaller and I’d end up with the opposite tyre wearing heavily on one side (not to mention a very tail happy car!).

Also my now surplus drive shaft - if anyone may know someone looking for one please let him or her know, I would consider swapping it for something not just cash.

And thanks for all the sympathy – I need it!

I think I'd be speaking to Toyota GB about this - £900 to replace perfectly good parts just because they can't diagnose a problem properly isn't really on.

Oh and welcome to the forum :)

Exactly, if they cant diagnose problems without just replacing everything and hoping then I dont see why you should be expected to pay for it. Bit worrying about the faulty wheel though dont you think?

The wheel was a 18" Ultralite WP-784-TWIN-5, 9" wide. They look really good on the Sup, I'm not to quick to condemn the manufacturer just yet as once in a while a product will have a fault. The proof will be in the after sales service... and i will let the world know. :cool:

Here's the car (its a good way to show off my new toy)

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/show_image.pl?bg=FFFFFF&image=http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/2269000-2269999/2269047_3_full.jpg

And here is the dodgy wheel in question

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/show_image.pl?bg=FFFFFF&image=http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/2269000-2269999/2269047_2_full.jpg

• 2 weeks later...