The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Aftermarket ECU's gotta go

Alex

I've been advised to remove my MINES ECU as it will be mapped for 102 octane fuel (it was put in and setup in Japan).

So how the hell do I do that then?

Should it be a case of undoing the screws on the lid and lifting it off the original? Of would it be more complicated?

Will I need to get the car re-mapped or will it automatically re-set to factory defaults?

Should I get an S-AFC to replace it and therfore get my fueling right? (I'm not running a lot of mods but enough to warrent the question).

Is it LIKELY that the car was (speed) de-restricted by the MINES unit and therefore I will need a new Speed Limit Defencer (and probably an FCD too.)

I need to take it to a garage and to someone who can look at it for me don't I..... :( :(

you would need to swap the whole ECU, which means buying a new or used one. Leon might be able to get a spare but it wont be cheap.

Your other option is to run 2 bottles of Millers octane booster per tank, or use the Millers CVL with Super UL to give 101 ron.

Neither is an easy option, so you might just want to leave it as it is and make sure you are running a resonable amount of boost for the fuel rating.

JB

I've got both cats still inplace so I can't use CVL.

Justin Has got a spare Jap unit which he might be able to put in and get the timing sorted on.

Looks like I'll have to fork out for Octane booster in the mean time as JF can't do any thing right now.

SHOP! time it is then.....

It was my understanding that the stock ECU was mapped for 102 ron fuel too, but will adapt to take anything down to 95 ron. The objective for all owners with stock ECU’s is to get as close to 102 as we can.

Most of us run 99 ron with out any problems.

Is the MINES unit so critical that it will not run lower ron with out significant performance losses?

By whom were you given the advice?

Chris Wilson suggested that it would probably be best to replace the ECU as the thing is PROBABLY mapped to 102 Octane. Also I get warning lights on the dash due to a bad signal between the ECU and the Odometer when travelling at over 60mph.

This error then affects the front lip spoiler, speed dependant power steering, traction control etc.

So personally I'd like to rip the lot out and start again, with a new ECU, new TRL FCD and new SLD. Get it timed perfectly for 98 octane fuel so as I'm running it safely (I do a lot of miles and can't afford to take risks).

I wouldn't have thought the stock is 102 more like 100max, but that's not the important thing, cause I'm not in Japan! :) It's not power loss that I'm concerned about.... just wanna make sure my baby keeps ticking over nicely and I can push her to the limit without worrying if the fuel is adequate.

Anyway JF has the kit, ECU + TRL FCD + SLD (though I need a new speedo, odometer and tacho (not the food!!). And I want to have an ECU that people in the UK can play with. Everytime I mention Mines every one shruggs there shoulders and doesn't really know what to say!

It would just seem to save me alot of hassle to replace the lot.

JF seems to think that in Mid September some mate of his who's "a genius with this stuff" will be available having fixed JF's car to take a look at mine. And either sort out the current stuff or replace the lot....

...hmmm who could this mystery person be.........:) :)

If Chris Wilson advises that it should be replaced then I'd tend to go along with that line of thinking. What I thought was maybe some tuning company was spinning you a line, just to sell you loads of kit that you didn't really need.

I rather think your speed-signal problem is not being directly caused by the Mines ECU, but a different fault altogether. Probably some botch-up with the KMs to Miles conversion. What you need to do is look at the signal with an oscilloscope, to see what is happening exactly, and go from there.

Yours,

J

• 3 years later...

Just to follow on from this, my supra will be here soon and has an aftermarket ECU fitted to it (dont know which make yet)

Whats the general opinion, will it be ok running on optimax and re-adjust or will i need to get it re-mapped. (roughly how much for a basic re-map?)

I appreciate that this is dificult to answer without knowing the make of the ECU but i was after an idea of any problem i may encounter.

Just to follow on from this, my supra will be here soon and has an aftermarket ECU fitted to it (dont know which make yet)

Whats the general opinion, will it be ok running on optimax and re-adjust or will i need to get it re-mapped. (roughly how much for a basic re-map?)

I appreciate that this is dificult to answer without knowing the make of the ECU but i was after an idea of any problem i may encounter.

Hopefully it wont be a locked ECU and will be one you can play with..

Optimax is a must as jap land they use 100 ron --- 96 would not be good!

Hopefully it wont be a locked ECU and will be one you can play with..

Yea i hope so too!

hopefully it will run fine on optimax.

Any rough ideas on how much it costs to get an ecu remapped?

Thanks for the help.

Again it totally depends on what condition the map is in, the cost per hour of the tuner and the type of unit. but £70-100 an hour isn't uncommon.

If it's coming off the boat with "an aftermarket ecu" the chances are it's a locked replacement ECU....this isn't a bad thing but you won't be able to remap it.

Quite a few members have or are using similar ECU's to the MINES without problems. Your best bet would be to get the car dynoed to check fueling.

If yours is a replacement ECU such as MINES then it is not possible for it to be remapped (not in UK anyway AFAIK.)

If it helps, send over the mines ecu to my office in Japan and I can arrange for it to be taken to Mines to check the data on it for anyone who wants to use it. Mines would more than likely charge for this service though (do the Japs ever do anything for free!) LOL

J

I don't believe anyone can re map a Mines ecu in the UK. I am very VERY wary of any Jap market "pperformance" ecu on a car run on UK fuel. They add timing and pull fuel to gain extra power that Toyota sacrificed for reliability with the stock map. Unless i had a proper idea of just what timing and fuel mods were made I would rather have a stock ecu or something under my own total control.