The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is It Me or Every man and his Dog a tuner now?

Guest Usmann A

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Usmann A

not what i meant my friend. :)

I meant as in, everyones claiming to be MKIV experts, I know a few on here who DO know what theyre doing, just an observation really.

Dont go getting your knickers in twists pls guys.

I guess the longer the car is around, the more people will gain knowledge on them? But what qualifies you as a true tuner?

I'd have a go at fitting an emanage, a widenband O2 and even some on the road tuning, but I wouldn't call myself a tuner really - that's amature enthusiasm isn't it?

Depends on the classification of a tuner. It's a bit of a buzz word.

To be a tuner in my mind you will have some form of classical training, race background, ability to read and understand technical documentation and theories, probably a speciality in some area. Basically know what the hell you're doing with an engine to produce a symphony of harmonic combustion joy.

What a tuner is NOT is someone fitting air filters, exhausts and other after market parts willy nilly with no real understanding. They're not tuning anything, just slapping stuff on as per the instructions. I class the rise of budget single turbo conversions without proper supporting fuelling, ecu mapping etc etc in this area.

In my view, this has always been the case.

People who can't even read or write properly claim to have 'street' training and been through the university of 'real life'

School of Hard Knox kinda thing.

In reality they are just imbecils who have picked up a few catch phrases from other halfwits (garage "mechanics" more conversant with the hammer&chisel rather than the torque wrench)

They wouldn't even know what 'torque' is if it bit them. To them a 'psi' is a like a marble (you know, gimme 4psis m8, or U owe me 4 torks dude )

Harsh but true I'm afraid. Worse than the Nigerian 'doctors' they are flogging to the NHS. Cheap though --- until you have to fix the botches later on.

....nah, I just made this up. They are all highly-trained professionals, on the bleeding edge of their trade:D

I guess the longer the car is around, the more people will gain knowledge on them? But what qualifies you as a true tuner?

I'd have a go at fitting an emanage, a widenband O2 and even some on the road tuning, but I wouldn't call myself a tuner really - that's amature enthusiasm isn't it?

Totally agree!! :)

In my view, this has always been the case.

People who can't even read or write properly claim to have 'street' training and been through the university of 'real life'

School of Hard Knox kinda thing.

In reality they are just imbecils who have picked up a few catch phrases from other halfwits (garage "mechanics" more conversant with the hammer&chisel rather than the torque wrench)

They wouldn't even know what 'torque' is if it bit them. To them a 'psi' is a like a marble (you know, gimme 4psis m8, or U owe me 4 torks dude )

Harsh but true I'm afraid. Worse than the Nigerian 'doctors' they are flogging to the NHS. Cheap though --- until you have to fix the botches later on.

....nah, I just made this up. They are all highly-trained professionals, on the bleeding edge of their trade:D

These are the dangerous once as people/customer might have an idea what sort of power and mods they want from their cars but not 100% of whats required or involved as they aren't overally mechanically minded hence why they go to a "Tuner". As said ebove if the "tuner" bats about a few key buzz words Mr novice could indeed suck it in like a dyson. Ultimately he is more likely to end up with a very poor final job. or worse a car that will die very soon after leaving the garage and of course come back will be minimal as the sort of tuner who is prepared to blag their credentials prob won't be honouring any form of warrenty......

..... on the same hand some peole will willingly take their car to some one who is less than qualified in a vain attempt to save money but no doubt in the long run will end up paying more :(

oh and on a side note to answer the question ;

A. Yes a few more tuners have appeared !! :D

ok dont get me wrong but what was the point of starting this thread? its bound to cause an arguement with someone. ok you dont like Paul E and since you have been away we have had a few other members become traders and they seem to be doing well. Unless you want to name certain people who in your eyes are not real "tuners" in your eyes then im not sure what there is to discuss.

all i meant John was i would like to know what was meant by the title of this thread. I just cant see anything good that will come out of this thread as it is about why there are more tuners than 12 months ago, i guess some people dont like change then eh.