The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Ripspeed airfilter box thingy, any good?

chilli

I was in halfrauds the other day killing time while the local garage did an MOT and I stumbled into the ripspeed section and came across a ripspeed airfiler intake. It consisted of a carbon fibre lookalike (ahem) canister with a filter inside it and some pipe work.

Now firstly I know it was in halfrauds

Secondly everyone says use the standard airbox

but I have an aftermarket front so the standard airbox is a no go. I have the usual filter in the engine bay set up. I was actually thinking of trying to make something that could contain the air filter and allow nice cold ducted air into it. Now it looks like this ripspeed thing is actually just what I was thinking of making / buying.

Anyone know if it is any good?

Is there a better alternative?

Will I be outcast from the supra community for buying a tune up part from halfrauds, even worse that it is lookalike carbon fibre and is ripspeed?

lol well it's £70 or so but I don't care about the name or where it comes from really I guess if it really did work, but I don't want to waste £70 on something destined for the bin, or worse still, that provides poor filtration and increased wear on the engine :(

well where does it get it's air intake from? I thought it was just below the headlight? Mine has no openings except the massive one for the rad and the smic gets a good feed too.

The feeds for the airbox are not positioned so they receive positive air pressure into them when moving. All they do is allow the engine to suck air from outside the hot engine bay. So is it does not matter that there is no opening in your bumper, as the engine is still able to suck in the cooler air.

The vents in the stock bumper are there for airflow to the radiator and the stock side mounted intercooler, not for the air intake, so no need to fit a pod filter.

Guest japtuner

I had a look at them before as I was looking at a BMC one, the filter inside is pants and far too small, a BMC one would be much better, and they're real carbon so they look pretty cool and do keep the heat out, they have the benifits of a standard airbox(noise and heat soak proof-ish), but they are better at keeping the heat out and have a bigger filter inside, plus they're washable/cleanable, but they're about double the price, get what you pay for though.

lol well it's £70 or so but I don't care about the name or where it comes from really I guess if it really did work, but I don't want to waste £70 on something destined for the bin, or worse still, that provides poor filtration and increased wear on the engine :(

Mate I looked at them as a temporary solution to get my car up and running.

The bloke in halfrauds said: Yeah mate we have some proper nice filters.

Me: Oh yeah lets have a butchers.

Halfrauds: I will get one, they are about £30.

Me: Oh

Halfrauds: there you go, how do you like them apples?

Me: Hmm looks ok.

Man in grocers: Mate, you get air filters from a CAR SHOP, you dumb t**t.

Halfrauds: What car is it for then?

Me: Toyota Supra.

Halfrauds: Forget it mate, this is for a shit engine, not something big!

Me: Ok, thanks for your help.

Halfrauds: To be honest they are not good filters.

Me: Ok, bet they are good for drying lettuces though.

Grocer: You are in the wrong shop again, muppet!