The mkiv Supra Owners Club

how to change lenses of tails?

Pedroby

A few months ago I bought some red lenses around here to change my orange lenses of the taillights.

But when I try to get the tails apart I hear a lot of cracks and don't want to brake the glasses of the tails.

So does anyone knows how to get them apart to change the lenses of the taillights?

Put them in the oven (seriously!)

140 degrees for 5-10 minutes should be enough to soften the sealant. If it doesn't split apart, just put in it far a little while longer until all the sealent is like putty.

re-sealing is the same, press them together then stick them in the oven until the sealant is soft again. Once removed let them cool before refitting!

Be careful you don't burn the lenses on the grills, there's quite a few supra's around will grill damage on the lights :)

Edit - just realised you mention tail lights, reduce cooking time by 5 minutes :D

I know...and that's why I don't use the oven again to put some lights in haha.

I've done that with some Honda Prelude tails before and they were melt on the backside :)

So I use a hot paintstipper now. Do you have any pics of the point where to put a screwdriver or something to take them apart?