The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Induction Methods, not kits!

Alex

OK we know about the kits, but I've also seen some other bizarre ways of hooking up an air intake system. This includes dual pipes/filters, pipes with MAF bypasses on them (whatever they are) and pipes being fed into various different areas of the car.

I know that putting the air induction unit in the air duct under the drivers headlight is best but would it also be good to have one intake in the usual place at the same time (using a sort of Y pipe) and then use a VPC(? is that the device I need to allow more air to flow) to boost the air intake volume to make sure there is never a shortage of air not matter what size of turbo configuration I use.

Your thoughts

The main problem with induction kits is you loose the stock system’s ability to draw in ambient air from out side the car.

If you had a Y option system as you describe, you would have a mixture of hot under bonnet air and ambient, this would give some advantage but probably not worth the effort of expense. I would think it best to go for a system that gives access to ambient air only.

• 5 years later...
The main problem with induction kits is you loose the stock system’s ability to draw in ambient air from out side the car.

If you had a Y option system as you describe, you would have a mixture of hot under bonnet air and ambient, this would give some advantage but probably not worth the effort of expense. I would think it best to go for a system that gives access to ambient air only.

What do you mean you lose ambient air from outside the car, someone explain please?

So basically, would it be possible to build a custom airbox around the induction kit? so that thier is more fresh air, Or could the current induction kit be modified/ extended?

Yes you can do that to a slight advantage, have you got a FMIC? if so then you can also use a piece of large bore flexible hose and drill a hole through the side of the inner wing or the bottom of it, and make use of the intake for the side mount IC, or you could just replace the std air box;)

Just make a decent heatsheild and cold air feed and you will not suffer heatsoak,

TT maybe a different story as poss more heat under the bonnet,

Personal experience and trying both standard box and Induction kit with my own design cold feed and heatsheild has seen much better performance and pick up and mid range in my NA,

This has been debated a while ago, Mycar responds better.. yours may not.. Try it.. if its worse simply refit your standard box, you lose nothing ..