The mkiv Supra Owners Club

wheels wheels wheels!

carl0s

I'm planning on blowing a load of money on some new, lighter wheels. I should hope most of the Volk 18s are noticably lighter than my WM Pacific 19s, so..

Should I REALLY blow loads of money, and get the SF Challenge in Gunmetal, as below:

http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/Merchant//catalogpics/volkstock/vr_sfc_gm.jpg

Or should I get the cheap as chips 'Gram Light' 57c in plain silver, which are half the price of the SF Challenge, as below:

http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/Merchant/catalog/jdm/u/volk/gl57c-sl.jpg

Or something totally different? The Weds Wheels SA-70s look ok, but they're not such a giveaway price as the Gram Lights, so there would have to be some great reason to go for them, and delivery time would probably be shocking.

Annoyingly, Volk don't list the weights of their rims on the rays.co.jp site, which is crap considering the Gram Lights are marketed on their light weight.

I've heard the Gram Lights aren't so strong, but I'm hoping to avoid kerbs and I could buy a second set for not much more.

I'm concerned that the Weds Wheels aren't so well known in the Supra fold, so might not be as ideal a fit/offset as the Volks.

What do you think folks?

Carl0s, just knocked up a couple of naff photochops for you - courtesy of Jim Supra's car (hope he doesn't mind.)

They're not brilliant, but might give you an idea.

Mike

Awesome! Excellent work on the photoshops, but.. I don't like either of them :(

Maybe I need a respray before I change my wheels :(

I'd like some of those Gram Lights. Price?

About $1300 for the 18" set from MVP. So that's about £750.

Delivery would probably be around $400 though, so just under a grand for the set delivered.

I know somebody who brings over containers of exotic woods from Pensylvania every few weeks so I might be able to arrange something on the delivery.

I have Gram Lights on my Skyline. they are the right offset, the right counterbore ID, and are FAIRLY light, but not VERY light. They are riund and true, which is a rareity, believe it or not, for cheap aftermarket rims. BBS ones are good, some other Rays are good, I think TE somethings (37?), which are available in magnesium. I would buy solely on weight and spec, the looks wouldn't mean a damned thing to me, so I have a wider playing field. Image can make some light, excellent rims, if you want soemthing custom. Use the same centres they use on the Radical sports racers, they are the lightest they do, AFAIK. http://www.imagewheels.co.uk

Dunno what they are Carlos, they were on the car when I bought it. They have a polished rim, and silver centres. I'd rather have the all silver ones as the polished bits are already pretty manky from all the hot brake dust. Certainly an all powder coated rim is much more durable and practical. I see loads of those expensive Blitz rims that are corroded to *uggery, for example, no good to me, as one for whom washing cars is against their religion.