The mkiv Supra Owners Club

235s all round

Fahrenheit

Hi all still getting used to the forums and knowing where everything is, bought the car with advan three spoke style wheels on, want to lose that whole eighties thing and change rims.

However dont want to get caught out by the whole jap spec brake thing.

So does anyone know

1. Alloy width to use existing tyres from three spokes 235/45/17 but may take a larger width on next set of rubber.

2. Brake upgrade for as cheap as possible as buying the car has drained majority of funds?

thanks

A set of Chris Wilson fast road pads and some new 5.1 brake fluid should make a world of difference if your current setup is tired.

If you are changing the wheels do not bother reusing those 235's for the rear, they are way too skinny. A couple of hundred pounds on some 255+ width should drastically improve grip. Stock 17's are highly recommended. Though not the nicest looking wheels they are perfect offset and widths for the supra geometry. If made a HUGE difference the handling of my car after going from Blitz 3 piece wheels to stock ones, much more predicable and improve grip.

Staying alive is pretty realistic in my book!!

mine too, but having J-spec brakes is not a death sentance!

'The Chris Wilson' himself used to do track days with the j-spec set up so there's nothing wrong if its upgraded and the seals / sliders are doing what they should.

As 'stock' they are a weak point, but good pads and fluid on a j-spec setup will match a totally stock UK brake setup IMO

Hi all still getting used to the forums and knowing where everything is, bought the car with advan three spoke style wheels on, want to lose that whole eighties thing and change rims.

However dont want to get caught out by the whole jap spec brake thing.

So does anyone know

1. Alloy width to use existing tyres from three spokes 235/45/17 but may take a larger width on next set of rubber. thanks

ok from a man that is speaking from experience do not go for 235 all round unless you have a N/A, i dont know what you have you see

i bought a supra TT and it had 235's all round and i just took them off yesterday and replaced them with a new set of 18" chrome alloys with 265 on the back.

when i had 235's on the back i could never ever put the power down and if i did i was heading for oncoming traffic or the nearest wall!!!!!!!!!!! its terrifying!!!!!!!!!!!!!, but if it is a n/a then you will be fine as i know 2 people with 235's on a n/a and they say it holds ok and is only in the wet and really pushing it that it lets go a little

regards mark

Fahrenheit - are you sure the rims are matched front to rear?

I have advans on mine and the rims themselves are 10" wide at the back and 8.5" (running 235/45/17) on the front. Currently I have 255/40/17s on the back. Not sure how you'd get on putting wider tyres on if you do only have the narrower rims all round but if you've got the mind to change I don't suppose this matters.

I echo what these guys have said about pads and fluid too - replaced my fluid with dot 5.1 and was amazed at how much difference it made!