The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Standard Wheels

UltraFlynn

What are the differences between Jap-spec and UK-spec standard wheels for a '94 TT? Can I put either on my car?

On a related topic. .... I keep hearing people talking about "spacers" when fitting aftermarket wheels. What are they? Where do they go? What do they do? And ... if I replace my aftermarket wheels with standard ones will I have to remove any spacers to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Their is no difference between the 2 wheels.

The japanese market had 16" wheels as standard and the 17" wheels which are the same as the uk wheels were optional.

Both wheels will fit your car unless you have the larger 4 pot calipers on the front.

If you have the larger 4 pot front calipers then only the 17" wheels will fit.

Also late 96 they introduced the facelift model revisions and they changed the centre caps to a different design.

Anyone have an ideas about the issues with spacers?

With some aftermarket wheels the spokes of the wheel won't clear the larger Uk brakes.

So to get them to fit you need to put a spacer inbetween the wheel and the hub, maybe 3 or 5mm. This will bring the wheel out a little.

This isn't particularly good to do .

If you fit the 17" wheels you'll need to remove them which is a good thing.

The 17" stock wheels are the perfect fitment for the Supra providing a good fit and better handling.

Here's a typical universal wheel spacer:

http://www.professionalracersemporium.com/images/uwheelspacer[1]_small.jpg

Thanks for the info merckx, Are those spacers literally just sandwiched in between the hub and the wheel then? They are not "fitted" in any way?

I'm certainly going to be getting shot of my 18s and getting the stock 17s back on there. Best case scenario is to find someone who fancies the 18s and wants to swap.