The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Possible Stock BOV prob's

GordonT

I think it is the BOV.

I have the HKS Induction kit and I can get it to bleed off boost slowly with the throttle resulting in a prolonged hissing.

If you just shut the throttle it dumps it but you can ease off gently to hold it partially open.

Nothing to worry about.

As the Turbo's build pressure (I have hybrid jap ones and a K&N induction with a HKS SQV) they will wistle. Then when you start getting boost out of them you'll wooshing (I know its lame terminology but its the best I can do). I cruise a lot at light throttle in 6th gear and the car sits off boost (I have a boost gauge so I know this for a fact) but whistles like mad. Sometimes it can really drill into your head but other times it seems so much quieter..... my advice get your BOV checked,my original one (blitz really old one) was leaking some boost - I replaced it and gained 0.1 bar right through the range.

But having said that mine whistles so there may be nothing to worry about.

• 3 weeks later...
Quote: from Phil Wall on 3:06 pm on Aug. 3, 2001[br]The answer to that one is, very noticeable.

Its even better accompanied by a Hiper exhaust.

Got hold of a second hand BOV because I have a double set up in mind.

Both units make exactly the same noissssssssssssse

Hey Phil

I just mounted my apex'i bov on the hard pipe from the fmic ..... the one in the n/s bumper air intake

It terrifies pedestrians  and convertible drivers:biggrin:

If ya goin for a double loud nutter bastard...... don't let the bonnet muffle it:wink: